Paris - Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) condemns in the strongest terms the murder of two of our staff members in the Boucle du Mouhoun region, in northwestern Burkina Faso. MSF is suspending medical activities in the Boucle du Mouhoun region.
On the morning of Wednesday 8 February, an MSF vehicle, clearly identified as such, was carrying a team of four people, including medical staff. While on the road between Dédougou and Tougan, the vehicle was targeted by armed men who shot at the passengers.
Two staff members were killed, while two others managed to escape.
The two victims, both from Burkina Faso, had been employed by MSF as a driver, since July 2021, and a logistics supervisor, since June 2020. They were 39 and 34 years old, respectively.
“We are shocked and outraged by this killing,” says Dr Isabelle Defourny, president of MSF. “This is a deliberate and intentional attack on a clearly identified humanitarian team, during its medical work."
We are shocked and outraged by this killing. This is a deliberate and intentional attack on a clearly identified humanitarian team, during its medical work.Dr Isabelle Defourny, president of MSF
“Our priority is to support our two colleagues who survived the attack, as well as the families and loved ones of our colleagues who have been killed,” says Dr Defourny. “We are also going to engage with all the parties to the conflict to understand what happened.”
We have suspended our activities in the Boucle du Mouhoun region, until we have a better understanding of this tragic event.
Burkina Faso is facing unprecedented political, security and humanitarian crises, resulting in the displacement of nearly two million people following violence and fighting between armed groups and government forces.
Between July and December 2022, MSF teams in Burkina Faso, working in four regions of the country, provided nearly 400,000 outpatient health consultations and assisted in the delivery of nearly 4,300 women.