Skip to main content
184 Results
 
MSF teams carry out distributions of emergency relief items to displaced people in Azaz district, northern Syria, following an offensive by IS which also forced MSF to close its Al Salamah hospital as frontlines came too close. 100,000 people are estimated to be trapped in Syria, between active IS frontlines, the Turkish border and areas under Kurdish control.
Syria

People trapped in Azaz urgently need safe haven - Turkey and the EU must open their borders

An estimated 100,000 people trapped in the Azaz district of Syria, between the frontline with the Islamic State group and the Turkish border, must be allowed to reach safe haven in Turkey. Europe must also honour its moral and legal commitments by granting asylum to those fleeing from this conflict. Press Release - 2 Jun 2016
 
MSF OCA hospital, bossangoa, CAR
Central African Republic

MSF outraged by killing of staff member

Press Release - 19 May 2016
 
A mother and her child in the Cholera treatment Unit (CTU) of Bweru. The baby is receiving treatment.
Democratic Republic of Congo

MSF to resume medical humanitarian assistance in the Mweso health zone after 4 months absence

MSF is set to resume medical humanitarian activities in Mweso, four months after armed men attacked a convoy and abducted two of our staff members, forcing us to close our projects in the area. Press Release - 15 Apr 2016
 
The MSF-supported hospital in Ma’arat Al Numan before it was attacked and destroyed on Monday 15th Feb. At least 25 people were killed, including nine staff members.
The 30-bed hospital  had 54 staff, two operating theatres, an outpatient department and an emergency room. The outpatient department treated around 1500 people a month, the ER carried out an average of 1,100 consultations a month, and around 140 operations a month, mainly orthopaedic and general surgery, were carried out in the operating theatres.

MSF has been supporting this hospital since September 2015 and covered all the needs of the facility including provision of medical supplies and running costs.
Syria

War-wounded and war-dead in Syria – medical data provides a stark warning that 2015 must not be repeated

"The medical data documented in the report reveal an appalling reality,” said Dr. Joanne Liu, international president of MSF. “The consistently high numbers of women and children - more than 900 wounded per week - puts beyond any doubt that civilian areas and infrastructure were either targeted or indiscriminately struck throughout the military campaigns in 2015." Press Release - 9 Mar 2016
 
Upon return to the MSF healthcare centre in Pibor, MSF teams encountered a scene of chaos and destruction. Fans were ripped from the ceiling in the patients’ wards, electronic equipment and fuel were taken and all the therapeutic food used for treating malnourished children was stolen. Anything of value that was not bolted to the floor was carried off, even hospital beds for sick women and children. Life-saving medicines, medical equipement and essential records were strewn everywhere while cabinets and shelves were tossed and emptied in a whirlwind of theft and disrespect for medical care.
(Friday, Feb. 22, 2016)
(C) Loic Jaeger /MSF
South Sudan

Looming medical crisis in Pibor following devastating violence and looting of MSF medical compound

“This is a blatant and outrageous attack on life-saving medical care,” said Corinne Benazech, MSF head of mission in South Sudan. “Every single item of value that was not bolted to the floor was stolen, even the hospital beds for treating sick and malnourished children in the pediatric ward." Press Release - 4 Mar 2016
 
Malakal: MSF teams in Malakal worked through the nights of Wednesday and Thursday to deal with injured patients after fighting erupted in the Protection of Civilians (PoC) site on Wednesday that resulted in 18 people dead, two of them MSF South Sudanese staff members. Seventy-three patients have been admitted so far to the hospital, 46 of them with gunshot wounds. One of MSF’s main concerns is the fate of 43,000 internally displaced people (IDPs) who took shelter in the UNMISS compound. They have been squeezed into a very tight area and access to water and sanitation is of real concern. MSF does not know how long they will be permitted to remain in the facility.
South Sudan

MSF condemns outrageous attack in UN protection site in Malakal

“This brazen violence and terrorization of civilian populations cannot continue. We are heartbroken and devastated by the senseless killing of our two colleagues,” says Raquel Ayora, MSF Director of Operations. “The violence in the Malakal PoC clearly demonstrates that protection of civilians and provision of humanitarian assistance can only be attained with a change of course in the conduct of hostilities by all parties to the conflict." Press Release - 2 Mar 2016
 
Bab Al Noor camp, northern Syria –
Before the most recent increase in fighting in Azaz, Bab Al Noor camp, near Syria’s border with Turkey, was home to around 14,000 people. Another 1,300 people have arrived in the camp in the in the second week of February. MSF has donated around 50 large family tents for the recently arrived people in the camps and is looking at how to improve water and sanitation.
Syria

Health system close to collapse in war-torn Azaz district

“Azaz district has seen some of the heaviest tolls of this brutal war, and yet again we are seeing healthcare under siege,” said Muskilda Zancada, MSF head of mission, Syria. “We are extremely concerned about the situation in the south of the district, where medical staff, fearing for their lives, have been forced to flee and hospitals have either been completely closed, or can only offer limited emergency services.” Press Release - 10 Feb 2016
 
The Shiara hospital, an MSF-supported facility in Razeh district (Northern Yemen), was hit by a projectile in northern Yemen on January 10thm resulting in five deaths, eight injured and the collapse of several buildings of the medical facility. One of the critical injured victim, passed away on Sunday 17th after being transferred to the ICU at the MSF hospital in Saada. More than 130 health centres and hospitals have been affected by the conflict ravaging the country in the last ten months.
Yemen

Health facilities under attack - MSF wants answers

MSF medical activities in Yemen have come under attack four times in less than three months, each incident more serious than the last.“Four of our medical facilities have been attacked in four months in Yemen and Afghanistan,” Press Release - 25 Jan 2016
Four mothers posing in a corridor of the Hospital in Bili. All four of them are staying in the hospital with their child, that's suffering from a severe case of malaria. Since the beginning of the project in 2016, the pediatric ward already treated more than 4.000 cases of complicated/severe form of malaria.
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF)

Independent medical humanitarian assistance

We provide medical assistance to people affected by conflict, epidemics, disasters, or exclusion from healthcare. Our teams are made up of tens of thousands of health professionals, logistic and administrative staff - most of them hired locally. Our actions are guided by medical ethics and the principles of independence and impartiality. We are a non-profit, self-governed, member-based organisation.

Learn more