MSF continued to work with the Ministry of Health to provide care for HIV and TB patients, primary healthcare, and vaccinations.
Dawei, Tanintharyi region
MSF remains the main provider of HIV care in Dawei, Tanintharyi region, and treated 2,355 people with the disease in 2016. Teams are targeting high-risk and vulnerable groups, such as sex workers, men who have sex with men and migrant workers, and supporting the National AIDS Programme (NAP) to decentralise treatment. During the year, 742 stable patients were transferred to NAP care. Also this year, the diagnostic capacity of the project was improved with the introduction of a machine to detect viral load in patients.
In addition, MSF treats HIV patients co-infected with diseases such as tuberculosis (TB), cytomegalovirus retinitis and hepatitis C. This year, some hepatitis C patients started a new, more affordable and more effective oral treatment in Dawei and also in Yangon.
Primary healthcare in Wa Special Region 2, Shan State
Due to a worsening political situation and the inability of MSF to secure access for international staff to work in the region, medical activities in Wa Special Region 2 were limited in 2016. Despite this, in the remote Pang Yang and Lin Haw townships, where access to healthcare is minimal, MSF conducted over 9,000 outpatient consultations through fixed and mobile clinics and supported Ministry of Health vaccination campaigns.
Vaccinations in Naga, Sagaing region
Between January and March, MSF supported the Ministry of Health’s catch-up vaccination campaign for 10,951 children under five in Lahe township. Children were immunised against a number of diseases, including polio, diphtheria, tetanus, whooping cough, measles, hepatitis B and haemophilus influenza type B.
Year MSF first worked in the country: 1992.
|Patients on first-line ARV treatment||35,000|
Individual mental health consultations
|No. staff in 2016||1,197|
|2016 Expenditure||€19.7 million|
- Access to essential medicineApply Access to essential medicine filter (10)
- Access to healthcareApply Access to healthcare filter (8)
- Child healthApply Child health filter (2)
- Mediterranean MigrationApply Mediterranean Migration filter (1)
- Mental healthApply Mental health filter (6)
- MigrantApply Migrant filter (16)
- Mobile clinicApply Mobile clinic filter (13)
- Neglected diseasesApply Neglected diseases filter (2)
- Refugees and internally displaced peopleApply Refugees and internally displaced people filter (16)
- VaccinationApply Vaccination filter (1)
- Water and sanitationApply Water and sanitation filter (10)
- World AIDS DayApply World AIDS Day filter (1)
- Dengue feverApply Dengue fever filter (1)
- EbolaApply Ebola filter (1)
- HIV/AIDSApply HIV/AIDS filter (21)
- Infectious diseasesApply Infectious diseases filter (12)
- MalariaApply Malaria filter (8)
- Multidrug-resistant tuberculosis (MDR-TB)Apply Multidrug-resistant tuberculosis (MDR-TB) filter (3)
- Parasitic diseasesApply Parasitic diseases filter (8)
- TuberculosisApply Tuberculosis filter (12)
- 2017Apply 2017 filter (3)
- 2016Apply 2016 filter (4)
- 2015Apply 2015 filter (5)
- 2014Apply 2014 filter (8)
- 2013Apply 2013 filter (6)
- 2012Apply 2012 filter (6)
- 2011Apply 2011 filter (2)
- 2010Apply 2010 filter (1)
- 2009Apply 2009 filter (1)
- 2008Apply 2008 filter (31)
- 2007Apply 2007 filter (3)
- 2005Apply 2005 filter (4)
- 2004Apply 2004 filter (4)
- 2003Apply 2003 filter (2)
- 2002Apply 2002 filter (1)
- 2000Apply 2000 filter (1)