MSF focused on improving access to sexual and reproductive health in the Philippines this year.
An MSF assessment, conducted in 2015, confirmed the need for sexual and reproductive health services in the densely populated and impoverished Tondo area of the capital, Manila. This year, in response to that need, MSF launched a programme, which is run in collaboration with Likhaan, a national organisation. The MSF team supported the local clinic’s family planning services, carrying out an average of 1,000 consultations each month, and improved screening, diagnosis and treatment for sexually transmitted infections. In October, the clinic also started to provide screening for cervical cancer and cryotherapy. In November, 89 patients were screened. Of these, six tested positive, five underwent cryotherapy and one was referred. As a prevention measure, there were plans this year to begin a vaccination campaign against human papillomavirus, reaching 24,000 girls aged between nine and 13. However, delays in importing the vaccines meant that the first round of vaccination had to be postponed to February 2017.
Year MSF first worked in the country: 1987.
|No. staff in 2016||12|
|2015 Expenditure||€1.3 million|
- A Fair ShotApply A Fair Shot filter (1)
- Access to essential medicineApply Access to essential medicine filter (4)
- Access to healthcareApply Access to healthcare filter (2)
- Child healthApply Child health filter (7)
- Maternal healthApply Maternal health filter (9)
- Mental healthApply Mental health filter (6)
- MigrantApply Migrant filter (9)
- Mobile clinicApply Mobile clinic filter (5)
- Refugees and internally displaced peopleApply Refugees and internally displaced people filter (9)
- Sexual violenceApply Sexual violence filter (1)
- VaccinationApply Vaccination filter (2)
- Water and sanitationApply Water and sanitation filter (6)
- Dengue feverApply Dengue fever filter (1)
- Extensively drug-resistant tuberculosis (XDR-TB)Apply Extensively drug-resistant tuberculosis (XDR-TB) filter (1)
- HIV/AIDSApply HIV/AIDS filter (4)
- Infectious diseasesApply Infectious diseases filter (3)
- Multidrug-resistant tuberculosis (MDR-TB)Apply Multidrug-resistant tuberculosis (MDR-TB) filter (1)
- Pneumococcal diseaseApply Pneumococcal disease filter (1)
- TuberculosisApply Tuberculosis filter (2)