Activities 2015 International Activity Report
Honduras has experienced years of political, economic and social instability, and has one the highest rates of violence in the world. This has medical, psychological and social consequences for the population.
MSF continued its servicio prioritario or priority service in collaboration with the Honduran Ministry of Health, offering emergency medical and psychological care to victims of violence, including sexual violence. This free, confidential, one-stop service is available at two health centres and in Tegucigalpa’s main hospital .
In 2015, MSF treated 1,367 victims of violence, including 593 victims of sexual violence, and carried out 1,436 mental health consultations. Medical treatment for rape includes post-exposure prophylaxis to prevent HIV infection and provide protection against other sexually transmitted infections, hepatitis B and tetanus. Mental healthcare includes counselling and psychological first aid. MSF has also been involved in training and sensitising medical staff to the needs of victims of sexual violence, and ensuring the necessary human resources are available.
The emergency contraceptive pill remains banned in Honduras, despite ongoing debate in the Honduran Congress to change the policy on emergency contraception. MSF continues to advocate for access to medical care for victims of sexual violence (including emergency contraception) that is in accordance with international protocols. MSF has highlighted the psychological and medical consequences of pregnancy as a result of sexual assault.
Year MSF first worked in the country: 1974.
- Access to essential medicineApply Access to essential medicine filter (4)
- Access to healthcareApply Access to healthcare filter (1)
- Child healthApply Child health filter (4)
- Maternal healthApply Maternal health filter (3)
- Mental healthApply Mental health filter (4)
- MigrantApply Migrant filter (1)
- Neglected diseasesApply Neglected diseases filter (1)
- Sexual violenceApply Sexual violence filter (6)
- 2016Apply 2016 filter (1)
- 2015Apply 2015 filter (3)
- 2014Apply 2014 filter (4)
- 2013Apply 2013 filter (2)
- 2012Apply 2012 filter (3)
- 2011Apply 2011 filter (1)
- 2010Apply 2010 filter (1)
- 2009Apply 2009 filter (2)
- 2006Apply 2006 filter (2)
- 2005Apply 2005 filter (1)
- 2004Apply 2004 filter (2)
- 2002Apply 2002 filter (1)
- 1998Apply 1998 filter (3)