Activities 2015 International Activity Report
Egypt is a key transit and destination country for African and Middle Eastern refugees and migrants.
The number of people arriving in Egypt has risen sharply recently due to conflict and instability in countries such as Syria, Iraq, Sudan, South Sudan and Libya. There has also been an increase in the number embarking on the sea journey to Europe.
The main challenges for refugees and migrants are limited employment opportunities, integration and everyday hardships. Around 115,000 registered asylum seekers and refugees live in Greater Cairo. Many of those assisted by MSF have been victims of violence in their home countries or during their journeys to Egypt. MSF offers patients rehabilitative care, comprised of medical and mental health assistance, as well as physiotherapy and social support through the development of individual multi-disciplinary treatment plans. In 2015, a total of 1,663 new patients were admitted, of which 51 per cent had suffered ill treatment. The MSF team also assisted vulnerable individuals by conducting nearly 2,800 medical consultations and distributing over 2,300 hygiene kits through mobile clinics.
In addition to responding to the regional refugee crisis, MSF entered into discussions with the Egyptian Ministry of Health and Population and national medical institutions regarding establishing partnership projects in key public health areas. MSF would like to support national efforts to tackle hepatitis C in the country, and is willing to contribute technical medical expertise to existing initiatives.
Year MSF first worked in the country: 2010.
- Access to essential medicineApply Access to essential medicine filter (3)
- Access to healthcareApply Access to healthcare filter (4)
- Child healthApply Child health filter (3)
- Maternal healthApply Maternal health filter (2)
- Mediterranean MigrationApply Mediterranean Migration filter (3)
- Mental healthApply Mental health filter (4)
- MigrantApply Migrant filter (7)
- Mobile clinicApply Mobile clinic filter (3)
- Refugees and IDPsApply Refugees and IDPs filter (7)
- VaccinationApply Vaccination filter (2)
- Water and sanitationApply Water and sanitation filter (2)