Vacancy: Editor, International Office
Deadline: all applications must be received
by October 21, 2005
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Purpose of the position The purpose of this position is to develop and produce key international publications and occasional articles/opinion pieces for the Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) international movement, through the MSF international office. The Editor is primarily responsible for the organization's annual Activity Report, which presents key humanitarian issues facing MSF and provides information on activities in all countries where MSF operates.
Place within the organization The Editor is an international position reporting to the International Information Coordinator and working closely with the MSF Secretary-General. The Editor is based in the International Office in Geneva, Switzerland.
To compile and produce the Activity Report, the Editor works closely with communications and operations staff in all MSF Operational Centers for content development and text review and approval. The Editor also works with MSF staff members (Directors, Presidents and others in MSF Operational or Partner sections or in the field) who have been requested to write keynote essays on humanitarian issues.
- Consulting closely with the International Information Coordinator and Secretary-General, plan content and writers for annual Activity Report.
- Ensure completion of all content for Activity Report by working with essay writers to develop and edit their pieces, identifying and working with additional writers to provide country profiles and other material, supervising consultant and writing texts as necessary.
- Guide all texts through a complex review and approval process.
- Coordinate production of Activity Report with graphic designer and printer.
- Supervise the translation of the Activity Report into French; coordinate with editors of other language editions.
- Plan, coordinate writers, edit and write country updates and fact sheets
- Produce other occasional publications and other written material (articles/opinion pieces) for the MSF International movement.
- Bachelor’s degree and 4 to 5 years directly related experience
- Demonstrated ability to bring complex publications to timely completion
- Excellent writing, editing and analytical skills
- English native speaker; ability to read and understand French essential
- Familiarity with and commitment to the work of Médecins Sans Frontières
- Experience working in international environment
Also important: flexibility, a sense of humor, and ability to work well with a small team under tight deadline pressure.
The position will be based in Geneva, Switzerland.
Send resume and cover letter to:
Anouk Delafortrie, International Information Coordinator
MSF International Office
Rue de Lausanne 78
1211 Genève 21
or via e-mail to