Activities 2015 International Activity Report
MSF is currently implementing and evaluating a shorter treatment regimen for multidrug-resistant tuberculosis (MDR-TB) in Uzbekistan, lasting nine months instead of the usual two years.
The medical outcomes from this shorter regimen will be published in 2016. MSF also hopes to start a clinical trial in the country in 2016, combining the first new TB drugs available in over 50 years with existing drugs to treat drug-resistant forms of the disease. Both of these initiatives reflect MSF’s drive to develop shorter, more effective and more tolerable treatment regimens for people suffering from TB.
TB programme in Karakalpakstan
In the Autonomous Republic of Karakalpakstan, MSF continues to run the long-standing ‘comprehensive TB care for all’ project with the regional and central health ministries. This project provides access to outpatient care, rapid diagnostic tests and a comprehensive support programme, including education, psychosocial support, and food packages for those on low income or suffering weight loss. The goal is to ensure patients’ adherence to treatment and to help them manage the sometimes severe side effects of their medication, and to prevent the spread of the disease.
HIV treatment in Tashkent
In the capital, Tashkent, MSF supports the Tashkent City AIDS Centre to increase access to diagnosis and treatment for people living with the disease. In 2015, the team started over 700 patients on antiretroviral treatment, and offered counselling and screening for opportunistic infections (infections that occur more frequently and are more severe in individuals with weakened immune systems). In 2016, the project will begin treating patients who are co-infected with hepatitis C.
Year MSF first worked in the country: 1997.
- Extensively drug-resistant tuberculosis (XDR-TB)Apply Extensively drug-resistant tuberculosis (XDR-TB) filter (3)
- HIV / AIDSApply HIV / AIDS filter (2)
- Infectious diseasesApply Infectious diseases filter (43)
- MalariaApply Malaria filter (2)
- Multidrug-resistant tuberculosis (MDR-TB)Apply Multidrug-resistant tuberculosis (MDR-TB) filter (9)
- Parasitic diseasesApply Parasitic diseases filter (2)
- Sleeping sickness (human African trypanosomiasis)Apply Sleeping sickness (human African trypanosomiasis) filter (1)
- TuberculosisApply Tuberculosis filter (43)
- 2016Apply 2016 filter (1)
- 2015Apply 2015 filter (3)
- 2013Apply 2013 filter (2)
- 2012Apply 2012 filter (1)
- 2011Apply 2011 filter (30)
- 2010Apply 2010 filter (3)
- 2008Apply 2008 filter (1)
- 2005Apply 2005 filter (2)
- 2003Apply 2003 filter (3)
- 2002Apply 2002 filter (1)
- 2001Apply 2001 filter (1)
- 2000Apply 2000 filter (1)
- 1998Apply 1998 filter (1)