Access to medical care remains very limited in the north of Mali due to a lack of medical staff and supplies, and clashes between armed groups continue despite a peace agreement.
In Ansongo town, Gao region, MSF supports the 48-bed referral hospital, providing outpatient consultations, inpatient and emergency care, surgery, maternal healthcare, treatment for chronic diseases, nutrition and laboratory services. The team also offers mental health support to victims of violence, and treats victims of sexual gender-based violence. Another team supports the district health centre.
In the rural areas of Ansongo district, MSF arranges referrals from the community to health centres and the hospital. From July to December, when the nomadic community migrated with their cattle far from the health centres, MSF ensured they had access to primary healthcare by training and mentoring community health workers in the diagnosis and treatment of the most common diseases. In addition, more than 57,145 children received antimalarial treatment and routine catch-up vaccinations during the seasonal peak.
In Kidal region, north of Gao, MSF supported two health centres in Kidal town and three more in the periphery. In collaboration with the local authorities, the team also implemented seasonal malaria chemoprevention (SMC) for the first time in the region, targeting around 16,048 children between three months and five years old.
In Timbuktu, as medical staff who had fled the city during the unrest began to return towards the end of the year, MSF initiated a progressive handover of all its activities in the regional referral hospital to the Ministry of Health. MSF has been working in this hospital since 2012.
In Koutiala district, southern Mali, MSF continues to run a comprehensive paediatric programme, aimed at reducing the morbidity and mortality of children under the age of five. In 2016, 7,032 children were admitted to the paediatric ward and 3,829 to the nutrition ward of the MSF-supported regional referral hospital in Koutiala. Teams also supported paediatric and nutrition activities in five health centres across the district, carrying out 90,203 outpatient consultations and treating 3,779 children for malnutrition. In these five health zones, a preventative package of health measures is implemented for all children under the age of two, including routine follow-up consultations, distribution of mosquito nets and supplementary milk-based foods, and vaccinations. This year, 7,723 children benefited from the package.
During the year, MSF started to hand over its SMC activities in Koutiala to the Ministry of Health. An average of 171,000 children received antimalarial drugs in each round.
Year MSF first worked in the country: 1992.
|No. staff in 2016||454|
|2016 Expenditure||€13.8 million|
- Access to essential medicineApply Access to essential medicine filter (7)
- Access to healthcareApply Access to healthcare filter (10)
- Child healthApply Child health filter (13)
- Health policyApply Health policy filter (1)
- Maternal healthApply Maternal health filter (7)
- Mediterranean MigrationApply Mediterranean Migration filter (4)
- Mental healthApply Mental health filter (5)
- MigrantApply Migrant filter (15)
- Mobile clinicApply Mobile clinic filter (6)
- Neglected diseasesApply Neglected diseases filter (2)
- Reconstructive surgeryApply Reconstructive surgery filter (1)
- Refugees and IDPsApply Refugees and IDPs filter (15)
- VaccinationApply Vaccination filter (11)
- Water and sanitationApply Water and sanitation filter (2)
- EbolaApply Ebola filter (14)
- Hepatitis BApply Hepatitis B filter (1)
- HIV/AIDSApply HIV/AIDS filter (5)
- Infectious diseasesApply Infectious diseases filter (14)
- MalariaApply Malaria filter (20)
- MalnutritionApply Malnutrition filter (9)
- MeaslesApply Measles filter (8)
- Parasitic diseasesApply Parasitic diseases filter (21)
- PolioApply Polio filter (1)
- Sleeping sickness (human African trypanosomiasis)Apply Sleeping sickness (human African trypanosomiasis) filter (1)
- TuberculosisApply Tuberculosis filter (6)
- YawsApply Yaws filter (1)
- 2017Apply 2017 filter (4)
- 2016Apply 2016 filter (12)
- 2015Apply 2015 filter (10)
- 2014Apply 2014 filter (15)
- 2013Apply 2013 filter (16)
- 2012Apply 2012 filter (8)
- 2011Apply 2011 filter (1)
- 2010Apply 2010 filter (2)
- 2009Apply 2009 filter (1)
- 2008Apply 2008 filter (2)
- 2006Apply 2006 filter (1)
- 2005Apply 2005 filter (1)
- 2004Apply 2004 filter (2)
- 2003Apply 2003 filter (1)
- 2002Apply 2002 filter (1)
- 2000Apply 2000 filter (2)