Activities 2015 International Activity Report
Despite the peace agreement reached between the government and the main armed groups in northern Mali in June, the security situation remained volatile for the rest of the year.
Clashes between armed groups impeded humanitarian access, and the lack of medical supplies and qualified personnel meant that people were left with little or no basic healthcare. There were deadly security incidents in the south, notably an attack by Islamic militants on a restaurant in March and an attack on a luxury hotel in November, both in Bamako.
In Gao region, MSF continued to support the hospital in Ansongo district, where a team manages outpatient services, admissions, maternal health, nutrition, surgery and the laboratory. MSF staff also worked with health centres in rural areas to arrange medical referrals. In September, a special project was launched to meet the basic medical needs of both pregnant women and children under the age of five among the seasonal pastoralist population in the region. In addition, more than 46,000 children the age of five received antimalarial treatment during the seasonal peak between August and November to guard against the disease. At the same time, and in accordance with the national vaccination schedule, they were also vaccinated against diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis, hepatitis B, Haemophilus influenzae type B, polio, pneumococcus, rotavirus, measles, yellow fever and tuberculosis. This resulted in significant improvement in vaccination rates in the area.
From August, to improve access to healthcare for people living in Kidal region, north of Gao, a team supported two health centres in the town and worked with a local organisation, SoliSa (Solidarité au Sahel) in other facilities in outlying areas.
Healthcare in Timbuktu and the surrounding area
In Timbuktu, MSF supported the 86-bed regional hospital, focusing on medical and surgical emergencies. There were an average of 390 inpatient admissions and 80 assisted deliveries every month. Teams also provided consultations for patients with chronic diseases, such as diabetes and hypertension, at the referral health facility.
Over 40 per cent of people living in the Timbuktu region are more than 15 kilometres from the nearest health centre. To ease access to healthcare, MSF mobile teams support staff in three peripheral health centres that offer basic care, vaccinations, maternal care and malnutrition screening. These clinics had to be suspended for several months due to insecurity.
Year MSF first worked in the country: 1992.
- Access to essential medicineApply Access to essential medicine filter (7)
- Access to healthcareApply Access to healthcare filter (8)
- Child healthApply Child health filter (13)
- Health policyApply Health policy filter (1)
- Maternal healthApply Maternal health filter (7)
- Mediterranean MigrationApply Mediterranean Migration filter (4)
- Mental healthApply Mental health filter (5)
- MigrantApply Migrant filter (15)
- Mobile clinicApply Mobile clinic filter (5)
- Neglected diseasesApply Neglected diseases filter (2)
- Reconstructive surgeryApply Reconstructive surgery filter (1)
- Refugees and IDPsApply Refugees and IDPs filter (15)
- VaccinationApply Vaccination filter (11)
- Water and sanitationApply Water and sanitation filter (2)
- EbolaApply Ebola filter (14)
- Hepatitis BApply Hepatitis B filter (1)
- HIV/AIDSApply HIV/AIDS filter (5)
- Infectious diseasesApply Infectious diseases filter (14)
- MalariaApply Malaria filter (19)
- MalnutritionApply Malnutrition filter (9)
- MeaslesApply Measles filter (7)
- Parasitic diseasesApply Parasitic diseases filter (20)
- PolioApply Polio filter (1)
- Sleeping sickness (human African trypanosomiasis)Apply Sleeping sickness (human African trypanosomiasis) filter (1)
- TuberculosisApply Tuberculosis filter (6)
- YawsApply Yaws filter (1)
- 2016Apply 2016 filter (12)
- 2015Apply 2015 filter (10)
- 2014Apply 2014 filter (15)
- 2013Apply 2013 filter (16)
- 2012Apply 2012 filter (8)
- 2011Apply 2011 filter (1)
- 2010Apply 2010 filter (2)
- 2009Apply 2009 filter (1)
- 2008Apply 2008 filter (2)
- 2006Apply 2006 filter (1)
- 2005Apply 2005 filter (1)
- 2004Apply 2004 filter (2)
- 2003Apply 2003 filter (1)
- 2002Apply 2002 filter (1)
- 2000Apply 2000 filter (2)