Activities 2015 International Activity Report
Since the end of the Muammar Gaddafi regime in 2011, Libya has been divided by armed conflict and the violence has escalated in recent years.
Libya had two governments: one based in the east in Tobruk, which was internationally recognised, and the other based in the west in Tripoli.
In 2015, the Islamic State group took control of the coastal city of Sirte and established a presence in several other cities such as Derna, while fighting continued between political factions in several areas. As a result, it became extremely difficult to maintain medical and drug supplies, foreign health workers evacuated and many hospitals and clinics were unable to function properly. However, MSF donated drugs and vaccines to hospitals in the cities of Al Beyda and Al Marj, and also improved hygiene conditions at Al Qubba hospital in the east.
MSF donated materials such as chlorine, masks and protective gloves to the local crisis committee at Al Marj, which is near the Mediterranean coast, to help cope with the bodies washing up on the shore there – people who had drowned while attempting to cross the sea.
As armed conflict continued in Benghazi, MSF increased the capacity of Al Abyar field hospital, located 60 kilometres from the city, so that it could stabilise the wounded. The team provided training in emergency care management in Al Abyar and Al Marj hospitals. MSF donated drugs to the only three functional hospitals in Benghazi, including Benghazi paediatric hospital, and provided regular donations to diabetic and renal centres. Between July and November, MSF distributed food to 2,400 displaced families in partnership with a Libyan NGO.
In November, MSF started supporting Zuwara hospital in western Libya with drugs, medical supplies, training and staff.
Year MSF first worked in the country: 2011.
- Access to essential medicineApply Access to essential medicine filter (7)
- Access to healthcareApply Access to healthcare filter (11)
- Child healthApply Child health filter (5)
- Maternal healthApply Maternal health filter (4)
- Mediterranean MigrationApply Mediterranean Migration filter (17)
- Mental healthApply Mental health filter (6)
- MigrantApply Migrant filter (31)
- Mobile clinicApply Mobile clinic filter (3)
- Refugees and IDPsApply Refugees and IDPs filter (30)
- VaccinationApply Vaccination filter (5)
- Water and sanitationApply Water and sanitation filter (3)
- EbolaApply Ebola filter (1)
- HIV / AIDSApply HIV / AIDS filter (4)
- Infectious diseasesApply Infectious diseases filter (5)
- MalnutritionApply Malnutrition filter (1)
- MeaslesApply Measles filter (2)
- Multidrug-resistant tuberculosis (MDR-TB)Apply Multidrug-resistant tuberculosis (MDR-TB) filter (1)
- Pneumococcal diseaseApply Pneumococcal disease filter (1)
- TuberculosisApply Tuberculosis filter (3)