Though Ebola has faded from the news headlines, the epidemic in West Africa continues to claim lives today. Infection rates are down from the peak of the crisis last year and progress has been made in the fight against Ebola. The outbreak has recently re-emerged in Liberia.
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is not directly involved in the patient care of the new cases, in the investigation or in the follow up of contacts but it is ready to provide help to Liberian authorities and their partners, should they require it.
With the national health system decimated by the outbreak – and hundreds of Liberian health care workers dying from Ebola – MSF is focusing on supporting the recovery of health facilities. We want to encourage Liberian people to feel confident they can go to hospital once again and have their health care needs looked after.
In Monrovia, MSF is running a 69-bed paediatric hospital, aiming to contribute restoring the offer of secondary healthcare in the aftermath of Ebola outbreak. 44 per cent of the patients are less than one year old.
MSF also runs a clinic for Ebola survivors in the premises of the hospital. Former patients have to face stigma and discrimination while accessing care, as well as social and economic problems (loss of work, loss of housing, etc.). MSF provides general outpatient consultations, and addresses mental health needs. Common complaints are joint pains and ophthalmic issues, for which MSF guarantees referral to external specialists.
Year MSF first worked in the country: 1990.
- Access to essential medicineApply Access to essential medicine filter (6)
- Access to healthcareApply Access to healthcare filter (8)
- Antibiotic resistanceApply Antibiotic resistance filter (1)
- Child healthApply Child health filter (3)
- Health policyApply Health policy filter (1)
- Maternal healthApply Maternal health filter (1)
- Mental healthApply Mental health filter (6)
- MigrantApply Migrant filter (10)
- Neglected diseasesApply Neglected diseases filter (2)
- Refugees and IDPsApply Refugees and IDPs filter (10)
- Sexual violenceApply Sexual violence filter (1)
- Speaking outApply Speaking out filter (1)
- VaccinationApply Vaccination filter (6)
- Water and sanitationApply Water and sanitation filter (1)
- EbolaApply Ebola filter (80)
- HIV / AIDSApply HIV / AIDS filter (5)
- Infectious diseasesApply Infectious diseases filter (4)
- MalariaApply Malaria filter (5)
- MalnutritionApply Malnutrition filter (4)
- MeaslesApply Measles filter (2)
- Parasitic diseasesApply Parasitic diseases filter (5)
- TuberculosisApply Tuberculosis filter (4)
- 2016Apply 2016 filter (10)
- 2015Apply 2015 filter (32)
- 2014Apply 2014 filter (43)
- 2013Apply 2013 filter (1)
- 2011Apply 2011 filter (3)
- 2010Apply 2010 filter (3)
- 2008Apply 2008 filter (1)
- 2006Apply 2006 filter (2)
- 2005Apply 2005 filter (5)
- 2004Apply 2004 filter (3)
- 2003Apply 2003 filter (6)
- 2002Apply 2002 filter (3)
- 2001Apply 2001 filter (2)
- 2000Apply 2000 filter (1)