Migrants and refugees trying to reach the United Kingdom found themselves stranded in northern France, unable to proceed beyond Calais.
In Calais, the number of inhabitants in the ‘Jungle’ – an informal camp for refugees and migrants – increased from 3,000 to nearly 10,000 between September 2015 and September 2016. The lack of sanitation and exposure to the elements here and in other informal camps in northern France, had significant consequences for people’s health, such as skin diseases and respiratory infections.
MSF started working in this area in 2015, filling gaps in services provided by other organisations, and adapting its activities as needs arose. In the Jungle, MSF provided healthcare until March, and water and sanitation until the summer. Teams also ran a centre for unaccompanied refugee minors in collaboration with other organisations and offered psychological support.
In Grande-Synthe, MSF conducted medical and psychological consultations through mobile clinics, and in March, completed the construction of a camp consisting of 370 shelters and sanitation facilities for 1,300 refugees and migrants living in a makeshift settlement. MSF handed over these activities to other organisations in September.
In the second half of 2016, ‘fixed’ settlements and camps were progressively closed by the French authorities. In October, the Jungle was dismantled, and the estimated 6,000 people still living there (among which 1900 unaccompanied minors) were sent to different sites across France. MSF halted its medical and psychological activities, but continued to monitor the situation and provide assistance, either directly or by supporting other organisations.
Year MSF first worked in the country: 1987.
|No. staff in 2016||29|
|2016 Expenditure||€6.8 million|
- Access to essential medicineApply Access to essential medicine filter (7)
- Access to healthcareApply Access to healthcare filter (18)
- Antibiotic resistanceApply Antibiotic resistance filter (1)
- Child healthApply Child health filter (11)
- Maternal healthApply Maternal health filter (2)
- Mediterranean MigrationApply Mediterranean Migration filter (16)
- Mental healthApply Mental health filter (9)
- MigrantApply Migrant filter (48)
- Mobile clinicApply Mobile clinic filter (8)
- Refugees and internally displaced peopleApply Refugees and internally displaced people filter (45)
- VaccinationApply Vaccination filter (7)
- Water and sanitationApply Water and sanitation filter (12)
- EbolaApply Ebola filter (1)
- Infectious diseasesApply Infectious diseases filter (7)
- MalariaApply Malaria filter (2)
- MalnutritionApply Malnutrition filter (3)
- MeaslesApply Measles filter (2)
- Multidrug-resistant tuberculosis (MDR-TB)Apply Multidrug-resistant tuberculosis (MDR-TB) filter (1)
- Parasitic diseasesApply Parasitic diseases filter (2)
- TuberculosisApply Tuberculosis filter (3)
- 2017Apply 2017 filter (24)
- 2016Apply 2016 filter (44)
- 2015Apply 2015 filter (23)
- 2014Apply 2014 filter (3)
- 2013Apply 2013 filter (3)
- 2010Apply 2010 filter (2)
- 2009Apply 2009 filter (2)
- 2008Apply 2008 filter (1)
- 2005Apply 2005 filter (6)
- 2004Apply 2004 filter (2)
- 2000Apply 2000 filter (1)
- 1998Apply 1998 filter (1)