Where our funding comes from
More than 4.5 million individual donors around the world provide some 90 per cent of our funding. This helps to ensure operational independence and flexibility. The remaining funds come from governments and international organisations.
When we work in contexts where there are many parties to a conflict and humanitarian assistance is at risk of abuse, we rely solely on private donations to fund our activities.
How our funds are spent
MSF is a non-profit organisation and more than 80 per cent of our resources are allocated to our humanitarian activities. The remaining 20 per cent is spent on management and administration, and reinvested in fundraising.
We maintain reserves that allow us to respond immediately to a crisis without having to wait for fundraising.
Financial control and transparency
The use of MSF funds is tightly controlled and the audited financial reports of all our national offices are publicly available.
The audited MSF International Financial Report provides a transparent global overview of MSF’s work. It defines the different categories of income and expenditure and shows how funds are raised and spent.