Activities 2015 International Activity Report
Drug-resistant TB is a life-threatening issue in Chechnya, the result of years of poor TB diagnosis and interrupted treatment. A comprehensive programme, including diagnosis, treatment and counselling for TB, multidrug-resistant TB (MDR-TB) and extensively drug-resistant TB (XDR-TB), is integrated in health ministry facilities. MSF handed the management of MDR-TB patients over to the Ministry of Health in July and is now focusing on the extensively drug-resistant form of the disease. MSF provided medicines for XDR-TB patients, including new treatments that have recently become available. MSF’s programme also includes laboratory support, health promotion and psychosocial assistance for patients and their families.
MSF observed that between 10 and 20 per cent of XDR-TB patients also suffer from diabetes, and this further complicates the management of the disease. As a result, teams began addressing co-morbidity with regular education sessions and the monitoring of blood sugar levels.
MSF also runs a mental healthcare programme in Grozny and the mountainous districts of Chechnya still affected by violence.
Cardiac care in Chechnya
MSF continued to support the cardio-resuscitation unit of the Republican Emergency Hospital in Grozny by donating medicines and medical equipment, providing technical advice for case management and organising training in coronarography (an imaging technique to examine the inside of coronary arteries) and angioplasty (a procedure to widen narrowed or obstructed coronary arteries). A total of 83 patients were treated during the two workshops organised by MSF in 2015.
Healthcare in Moscow
A team offered basic healthcare to migrants from the former Soviet republics and other countries with limited or no access to medical services, and referred them for specialist care in state medical facilities when necessary.
Year MSF first worked in the country: 1992.
- Access to essential medicineApply Access to essential medicine filter (8)
- Access to healthcareApply Access to healthcare filter (1)
- Child healthApply Child health filter (7)
- Mental healthApply Mental health filter (11)
- MigrantApply Migrant filter (5)
- Mobile clinicApply Mobile clinic filter (2)
- Refugees and IDPsApply Refugees and IDPs filter (5)
- Sexual violenceApply Sexual violence filter (3)
- Speaking outApply Speaking out filter (2)
- Extensively drug-resistant tuberculosis (XDR-TB)Apply Extensively drug-resistant tuberculosis (XDR-TB) filter (3)
- Hepatitis CApply Hepatitis C filter (2)
- HIV/AIDSApply HIV/AIDS filter (4)
- Infectious diseasesApply Infectious diseases filter (14)
- Kala azar (visceral leishmaniasis)Apply Kala azar (visceral leishmaniasis) filter (1)
- LeishmaniasisApply Leishmaniasis filter (1)
- MalariaApply Malaria filter (1)
- MeaslesApply Measles filter (1)
- Multidrug-resistant tuberculosis (MDR-TB)Apply Multidrug-resistant tuberculosis (MDR-TB) filter (5)
- Parasitic diseasesApply Parasitic diseases filter (2)
- TuberculosisApply Tuberculosis filter (12)
- 2017Apply 2017 filter (2)
- 2016Apply 2016 filter (5)
- 2015Apply 2015 filter (4)
- 2014Apply 2014 filter (2)
- 2013Apply 2013 filter (1)
- 2012Apply 2012 filter (1)
- 2011Apply 2011 filter (2)
- 2010Apply 2010 filter (1)
- 2009Apply 2009 filter (1)
- 2008Apply 2008 filter (2)
- 2006Apply 2006 filter (7)
- 2005Apply 2005 filter (3)
- 2004Apply 2004 filter (14)
- 2003Apply 2003 filter (3)
- 2002Apply 2002 filter (7)
- 2001Apply 2001 filter (1)
- 2000Apply 2000 filter (2)
- 1998Apply 1998 filter (2)