Activities International Activity Report 2016
The political and military crises of 2002-2010 have taken a severe toll on the Ivorian health system: according to the World Health Organization, it is one of the weakest in Africa, with only one medical doctor and five midwives per 10,000 inhabitants. As the maternal mortality rate is very high, the Ministry of Health has made maternal healthcare one of its main priorities, offering it free of charge to all pregnant women. However, budgetary restrictions, drug stockouts and a lack of trained health personnel, among other factors, continue to hamper access to quality medical services for women and young children.
In the Hambol Region, where the mortality ratio is estimated at 661 per 100,000 live births, according to an Epicentre Survey in 2015, MSF runs a project in collaboration with the Ministry of Health. The team aims to improve the management of obstetric and neonatal emergencies in this rural setting by supporting the Katiola referral hospital and three primary health centres in the region. MSF supports these facilities by providing additional personnel and medical supplies and by facilitating an efficient referral system for complicated deliveries, while implementing a training, coaching and supervision programme for the Ministry of Health staff.
Every month in 2016, an average of 350 deliveries were assisted in MSF-supported facilities, 55 newborns were admitted to the neonatal ward and 50 caesarean sections were performed at Katiola hospital.
Read about MSF's activities in other countries in 2016
Year MSF first worked in the country: 1990.
|No. staff in 2015||86|
|2015 Expenditure||€3.6 million|
- Access to essential medicineApply Access to essential medicine filter (3)
- Access to healthcareApply Access to healthcare filter (3)
- Child healthApply Child health filter (3)
- Health policyApply Health policy filter (1)
- Maternal healthApply Maternal health filter (3)
- Mediterranean MigrationApply Mediterranean Migration filter (1)
- MigrantApply Migrant filter (7)
- Reconstructive surgeryApply Reconstructive surgery filter (1)
- Refugees and internally displaced peopleApply Refugees and internally displaced people filter (7)
- Sexual violenceApply Sexual violence filter (1)
- Sustainable Development GoalsApply Sustainable Development Goals filter (1)
- 2017Apply 2017 filter (4)
- 2016Apply 2016 filter (3)
- 2015Apply 2015 filter (5)
- 2012Apply 2012 filter (1)
- 2011Apply 2011 filter (20)
- 2006Apply 2006 filter (2)
- 2005Apply 2005 filter (4)
- 2004Apply 2004 filter (2)
- 2003Apply 2003 filter (3)
- 2002Apply 2002 filter (3)
- 2000Apply 2000 filter (1)
- 1999Apply 1999 filter (1)