Activities 2015 International Activity Report
Due to the increase in maternal mortality rates,  MSF works with the Ministry of Health in Côte d’Ivoire to improve maternal and child health.
In Hambol region, around 50 per cent of women give birth at home, and a study undertaken by Epicentre in March 2015 found significant levels of maternal mortality.
Katiola is the main town in Hambol region and MSF runs a programme in the Centre Hospitalier Régional (CHR) there in partnership with the Ministry of Health. MSF provides resources and technical support, enabling the CHR to operate a high-quality emergency obstetric and neonatal care unit for complicated cases. MSF manages the 20-bed maternity department, three intensive-care beds, two operating theatres and 10 neonatal beds.
In 2015, the facility served as a referral hospital for 98,000 women of child-bearing age, 14,800 pregnant women and 14,000 newborns. Staff managed 755 obstetric emergencies, high-risk pregnancies and complicated births, as well as 600 gynaecological emergencies. They also assisted 2,600 births, 374 of which required caesarean sections.
Since May, MSF has been supporting and improving (through the renovation of buildings, medical equipment and staff training) the basic emergency obstetric and neonatal care units in outlying area, in order to ensure that good-quality medical care is more easily accessible for mothers and children. In addition, MSF has been working to improve the management of straightforward deliveries and referrals to Katiola. In the second half of the year, staff in two outlying health centres treated 106 women during obstetric emergencies, high-risk pregnancies or complicated births, as well as 28 gynaecological emergencies. They assisted over 400 births, and referred around 50 patients to the maternity unit at Katiola.
 From 543/100,000 live births in 2005 to 614/100,000 in 2012 (Enquête Démographie et de Santé et à Indicateurs Multiples de 2011–2012 (EDSCI-III))
 660/100 000 (Epicentre)
Year MSF first worked in the country: 1990.
- Access to essential medicineApply Access to essential medicine filter (3)
- Access to healthcareApply Access to healthcare filter (3)
- Child healthApply Child health filter (3)
- Health policyApply Health policy filter (1)
- Maternal healthApply Maternal health filter (3)
- Mediterranean MigrationApply Mediterranean Migration filter (1)
- MigrantApply Migrant filter (7)
- Reconstructive surgeryApply Reconstructive surgery filter (1)
- Refugees and IDPsApply Refugees and IDPs filter (7)
- Sexual violenceApply Sexual violence filter (1)
- Sustainable Development GoalsApply Sustainable Development Goals filter (1)
- 2017Apply 2017 filter (1)
- 2016Apply 2016 filter (3)
- 2015Apply 2015 filter (5)
- 2012Apply 2012 filter (1)
- 2011Apply 2011 filter (20)
- 2006Apply 2006 filter (2)
- 2005Apply 2005 filter (4)
- 2004Apply 2004 filter (2)
- 2003Apply 2003 filter (3)
- 2002Apply 2002 filter (3)
- 2000Apply 2000 filter (1)
- 1999Apply 1999 filter (1)