Vacancy: International Office Editor
Deadline: applications must be received by December 24th 2007
Purpose of the position The purpose of this position is to develop and produce international publications and materials and occasional articles/opinion pieces for the international movement, through the MSF International Office (IO).
The International Editor (IE) is primarily responsible for the organization's annual Activity Report, which provides information on activities in all countries where MSF operates and presents key humanitarian issues and challenges.
The IE also coordinates and writes institutional and operational communication materials in different formats, complementing materials produced in sections and keeping always an international perspective.
Place within the organization
- The IE reports to the International Communication and Fundraising Coordinator (ICFC).
- The IE is part of the Editorial Committee of the IO.
- The IE works closely with the MSF Secretary-General, International President, Policy and Advocacy Coordinator and other IO staff.
- The IE works closely with communications and operations staff in all MSF Operational Centers
- Consulting closely with the ICFC and Editorial Committee of the IO, plan content and writers for annual Activity Report.
- Ensure completion of all content for Activity Report by working with essay writers to develop and edit their pieces, identifying and working with additional writers to provide country profiles and other material, supervising consultant and writing texts as necessary.
- Guide texts through a complex review and approval process.
- Coordinate production of Activity Report with graphic designer, photo editors, copy editors and printer.
- Supervise the translation of the Activity Report into French; coordinate with editors of other language editions.
- Plan, coordinate, edit and/or write MSF institutional material such as an Institutional kit, Corporate Identity Guidelines….
- Plan, coordinate, edit and/or write operational material such as country updates, fact sheets…
- Produce other occasional publications and other written material (articles/opinion pieces) for the MSF International movement.
- As part of the IO Editorial Committee, co-manages the information of other international publications and communication tools
- Bachelor’s degree and 4 to 5 years directly related experience
- Project management experience
- Demonstrated ability to bring complex publications to timely completion
- Excellent writing, editing and analytical skills
- English native speaker; ability to read and understand French essential
- Print production experience
- Familiarity with and commitment to the work of MSF
- Experience working in an international environment
Also important: flexibility, a sense of humor, and ability to work well with a small team under tight deadline pressure.
The position will be based in Geneva, Switzerland.
To apply Send resume by e-mail to Jordi Passola, International Communication and Fundraising Coordinator firstname.lastname@example.org