Vacancy: International Finance Senior Officer (IFSO)
Médecins Sans Frontières International
International Finance Senior Officer (IFSO)
I. MSF INTERNATIONAL
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international, independent, medical humanitarian organisation that delivers emergency aid to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, healthcare exclusion and natural disasters. MSF offers assistance to people based only on need and irrespective of race, religion, gender or political affiliation.
MSF International is the legal entity that binds MSF’s 19 sections, 23 associations and other offices together. Based in Geneva, MSF International provides coordination, information and support to the MSF Movement, as well as implements international projects and initiatives as requested. MSF International also provides administrative support to the MSF Access Campaign.
II. PLACE IN THE ORGANISATION
The International Finance Senior Officer reports to the International Finance Coordinator.
The IFSO manages the International Finance Officer.
The IFSO interacts with the Heads of Finance/Accountancy of all MSF sections/entities.
III. GENERAL OBJECTIVE
The International Finance Senior Officer (IFSO) will work under the supervision and the coordination of the International Finance Coordinator (IFC). The IFSO supervise and coordinates the work of the International Finance Officer (IFO).
The International Finance Senior Officer (IFSO) position seeks to improve and develop the financial technical aspects related to the International Financial Statements combination process and the production of other international combined financial.
IV. MAIN ACTIVITIES
The International Finance Senior Officer's (IFSO) activities include:
1 – International Combined Accounts
The International Finance Senior Officer will be responsible for the planning, production and audit of the annual international combined accounts for the MSF movement in its different phases.
During the preparation phase, will ensure:
- Supporting the various entities (currently 19 sections, 3 branch offices, MSF International and 10 satellites) in the understanding of the international standards (MSF GAAP, IFRS) applied for the combination,
- Proposing any improvement that will simplify & improve the inter-company processes & exchanges,
Regularly updating, communicating and training MSF financial staff on all procedures and policies needed for the combination,
- Supporting the IFO in the oversight of inter-company transactions,
- Supporting the entities in the recording of their annual accounts in the international financial software (SAP BFC) by direct training, assistance & advice on formatted reporting,
- Organising and conducting international meetings relating to the improvement of the combination processes,
- Updating and maintaining the MSF International Accounting Standards (MSF GAAP).
The International Finance Senior Officer will ensure the following during the annual combination process:
- Setting-up and maintaining proper documentation on the combination process,
- Developing continuously, along with the sections, data collection formats suitable for the needs of the combination,
- Planning the reconciliation of inter-entity transactions, combination processes and international audit,
- Ensuring in the preparation of the annual International Combined Accounts,
- Overseeing the international audit, including the documentation and analysis as needed by the international auditors; and answering to their questions,
- Producing the International Financial Report, in collaboration with the International Publications Manager.
The IFSO will alert the IFC of lack of compliance, weaknesses or problems concerning accounting, audit or any matter of concern that need to be addressed to the Financial Directors and/or the International Treasurer.
The IFSO will ensure a follow-up on the combination process and lessons learned, and will proactively develop improved formats and policies. The IFSO will also ensure proper communication channels and timely communication flows towards the financial staff of the movement on the combination.
2. International Finance Reporting and Tool Management
The International Finance Senior Officer will be responsible with the IFO and in collaboration with the financial staff of the movement, of the gathering, compiling, production, dissemination and analysis of international reporting, such as:
- Monthly Financial Report, including the annual budgets/forecasts,
- Annual growth calculation,
- International Remuneration Policy tariff calculations,
- Any other financial data needed for in-depth analysis or communications purpose.
With the IFC, the International Finance Senior Officer will prepare the definition and development of new international financial reporting formats, such as international multi-year financial projections and any other international reporting as requested.
The International Finance Senior Officer will proactively propose development of the tool utilisation to improve the international reporting by:
- Expanding the use of international combination software so that it can be used for longer-term forecasting, budgeting and as a tool for more regular gathering of financial information from all sections for decision-making purposes,
- Supporting the various entities with training and assistance when necessary and as per requested,
- Ensuring the software upgrade when needed and improving the maintenance of both server & tool with regular link with the external providers,
- Design and implement automation of processes, with the intention of replacing manual functions done in Excel files with automated tools,
- Develop reports in SAP BFC to extract information as needed for the Combined Accounts and international audit,
- Maintaining a good knowledge and documentation on existing and new tools adapted to the International Finance work.
3 - International Financial Information and International Projects
The IFSO, under IFC supervision, will ensure the follow-up on international projects which would need specific international information monitoring, such as, but not limited to:
- Follow-up on data gathering for Emergency Fundraising Mechanism, Resource Sharing Agreements monitoring, etc.
- International projects with financial implications (e.g. HR or fundraising),
- Field related international projects,
- Any other international financial data that requires follow-up
4 - Additional responsibilities and activities:
The International Finance Senior Officer will:
- Supervise and manage the International Finance Officer,
- Support the IFC in the communication / coordination duties and help ensure proper communication on international projects impacting financial structure of the movement (e.g.: International Remuneration - Project, HR & fundraising analysis etc. ),
- Assist the IFC in taking the minutes of the FinDir Platform meetings,
- Provide Field Support and could be assigned to field visits as requested,
- Will be invited to actively participate to the IO and MSF topical debates by attending information meetings and discussions,
- Other support to the IFC as required.
- Solid financial training and experience
- At least eight years work experience in a relevant finance positions
- Professional accounting qualification e.g. ACCA, CIMA, CPA, CMA, (France: DECF/DESCF or Finance Bachelor) or equivalent
- Understanding of consolidation accountancy; previous experience is a plus
- IT skills:
- A great liking of tools; highly computer literate
- Excellent command of Excel a must, particularly with regard to analysis of data, willingness to learn & master new tools
- Ability to learn & master quickly new tools (including SAP BFC – international combined accounts software), including report-development
- Knowledge of SAP Business Objects Financial Consolidation a plus
- Strong financial analytical, organisational & synthesis skills
- Demonstrable communication skills / ability to work well in a team
- Ability to work within deadlines; flexibility
- Self-driven & enthusiastic with ability to interact with a broad range of actors; demonstrable diplomacy
- Humanitarian spirit; motivated by the operations of MSF
- MSF experience a plus
- Fluent in English; French or English mother tongue an asset
- European travel required, and some international travel may be necessary
Starting date: ASAP
Location: Geneva, Switzerland
Candidates are invited to send their CV Cover Letter (in English) before August 3rd, 2012 by e-mail only to IOfirstname.lastname@example.org, mentioning “International Finance Senior Officer” in the subject line.