TB ADVOCACY OFFICER MSF ACCESS CAMPAIGN
Title: TB Advocacy Officer
Location: MSF European offices
Contract: Fixed Term 18 months with possibility of extension, full time position
Starting date: As soon as possible
I. MSF INTERNATIONAL
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international, independent, medical humanitarian organisation that delivers emergency aid to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, healthcare exclusion and natural disasters. MSF offers assistance to people based only on need and irrespective of race, religion, gender or political affiliation.
MSF International is the legal entity that binds MSF’s 21 sections, 24 associations and other offices together. Based in Geneva, MSF International provides coordination, information and support to the MSF movement, and implements international projects and initiatives as requested.
Médecins Sans Frontières set up the MSF Access Campaign in 1999 to address systemic challenges and improve access to existing medical tools (medicines, diagnostics and vaccines) and to stimulate the development of urgently needed better tools for people in countries where MSF works and beyond. The priorities of the Access Campaign are guided by the medical challenges faced by MSF and its patients in its operational settings. The primary objectives of the Access Campaign include identifying, analysing and advocating for changes around the legal and regulatory systems and practices that hinder access to medical tools and innovation suitable for people in need especially in resource limited settings.
II. POSITION BACKGROUND
In collaboration with the MSF movement, the Access Campaign conducts campaigning activities in support of MSF advocacy objectives. The TB Advocacy Officer will support the Access Campaign TB team and coordinate with the advocacy positions in the regions in planning and implementing campaign strategies.
III. PLACE IN THE ORGANISATION
The TB Advocacy Officer reports to the HIV & TB Policy Advisor with functional report to the Campaign Manager.
IV. OBJECTIVES OF THE POSITION
MSF is seeking a TB Advocacy Officer to support MSF TB advocacy through contributing to the development and implementation of national, regional and global advocacy strategies, including a public facing campaign and the development of advocacy materials and tools.
As such the TB Advocacy Officer will support the TB team in its advocacy, and coordinate with advocacy positions in the regions in planning and implementing campaign strategies. S/he will conduct advocacy and oversee implementation of advocacy strategies, including by supporting MSF sections, missions, and partners in their advocacy activities, with campaign targets, ensuring that key campaign advocacy milestones are met, and contributing to the team’s dynamic response to developments prompted by the campaign.
V. MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES
In collaboration with the rest of the team, the TB Advocacy Officer will conduct and support a range of advocacy and communications activities including:
- Develop and implement advocacy strategies, and work with designated priority targets, in particular priority countries, NGOs, and civil society stakeholders, to advance campaign objectives through advocacy implementation.
- Support the MSF movement in designing and implementing their advocacy strategies with key targets through participation in meetings, providing back‐up support, answering technical campaign questions, etc.;
- Support and coordinate in particular the regional and national implementation of the ‘Step Up Campaign’ and other global advocacy initiatives with the regional Operations and Access Campaign teams
- Content creation: with input from other team members, drive content creation and development of key messages in line with policy and advocacy objectives, and integrating MSF operational experience. Translate into advocacy strategy, tactics, and materials.
- Build relationships/network: foster relationships with potential allies (civil society, government, NGOs, humanitarian actors, etc.) to advance the campaign goals.
- Monitoring/reporting: help monitor campaign advocacy progress against targets and campaign phases, and report to campaign team at agreed‐upon schedule.
VI. PROFILE REQUIREMENTS
- Minimum three years related work experience in policy/advocacy and a background in global health including TB strongly preferred
- Demonstrated experience in developing and implementing advocacy strategies, including the development of advocacy materials and toolkits for use by others
- Strong communication skills, including writing for a general public audiences and public speaking
- Experience with building and managing successful relationships/awareness‐raising initiatives with internal and external stakeholders
- Experience engaging with members of governments, pharmaceutical companies, NGOs, and/or multi‐lateral organizations
- Creative and out of the box thinker, with demonstrated track record of analytic problem‐solving/seeking solutions to challenges
- Flexibility, with the ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously and work independently
- Proficiency in English (French and/or Russian will be a significant asset)
- Ability to travel
- Genuine commitment to MSF's humanitarian principles and to the Access Campaign mission
Deadline for applications: 18 September 2017
Please submit all applications only by email to:
IOfirstname.lastname@example.org stating “TB Advocacy Officer” in the file
Please submit only ONE file containing your CV and cover letter and name the file with your last name only.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.