SYMPHONY DEPUTY PROGRAM MANAGER
Title: Symphony Deputy Program Manager
Location: Any MSF hub location in Europe, preferably Barcelona or Paris.
Duration: Fixed -term contract (2 years), full time position
I. MSF INTERNATIONAL
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international, independent, medical humanitarian organisation that delivers emergency aid to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, healthcare exclusion and natural disasters. MSF offers assistance to people based only on need and irrespective of race, religion, gender or political affiliation.
MSF International is the legal entity that binds MSF’s 21 sections, 24 associations and other offices together. Based in Geneva, MSF International provides coordination, information and support to the MSF Movement, as well as implements international projects and initiatives as requested. MSF International also provides administrative support to the MSF Access Campaign.
II. POSITION BACKGROUND
MSF is embarking on a global project of design, development and integration of HR systems and processes across 21 MSF sections.
In the preliminary phase of the project, a feasibility study was carried out and global HR processes were defined. In the latest phase of the project the functional and technical requirements were defined and an HRIS (Human Resources Information System) solution identified and two pilots sections are being deployed. The project is now entering the implementation phase aiming at realizing the solution with SAP (HCM/eRecruitment) and deploying it in the MSF offices. As part of the project preparation, the structure and composition of the existing international project team is redefined and strengthened and a deputy Program Manager is created to support Program Management.
While working in close cooperation with the Program Manager and the Project Management Officer, the Deputy Program Manager will be specifically responsible for the management of the program team and the follow up of the program planning in order to ensure the achievement of the deliverables within the timeframe. The Deputy Program Manager plays also a major role in the quality of the Program deliveries and coordinates the Lesson Learned process within the Program.
III. PLACE IN THE ORGANISATION
The Deputy Program Manager reports to the Symphony Program Manager and is the direct line manager for the Functional Lead, the Technical lead (middle managers) and 2 Roll Out Managers.
The Symphony team currently composed of 13 persons is however called to grow. The Deputy Program Manager will therefore have up to 6 persons to manage directly.
IV. SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITIES
The Deputy PM will be directly responsible of:
- Management of a team of 15 to 30 people
- Symphony program planning follow-up
- Symphony program quality monitoring and lessons learnt post implementation
V. MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES
The main tasks and activities of the function are:
- Is the first support of the Program Manager in the management of the global project
- Ensures adherence to the project quality principles.
- Coordinates the global Symphony plan with the local offices plans for implementation
- Monitors and ensure that program deliverables and outcomes are implemented within the defined timeframe, the established budget and at the expected quality level
- Anticipates potential problems and takes corrective actions for the successful management of the program whenever needed.
- Establishes a frame and monitors compliance with MSF standards or practices for documentation, data, training, IT strategy, governance and architecture
- Sets up and coordinate a lessons-learned process within the Program
- Manages the project team to achieve the desired implementation
- Provides day to day administrative and functional direction to the project team
VI. PROFILE REQUIREMENTS
We are looking for an enthusiastic candidate who has solid experience in leading and managing complex projects (ideally IT projects) in an international setting. You will have at least 5 years’ experience as a program or project manager of which leading and managing a team is an important part. You will be required to have a good understanding and experience of MSF HR transformation and process integration. You will have good communication skills as well as a service oriented attitude. Functioning in an international environment, an excellent command of English and an ability to travel (50%) are essential.
- Ability to understand the needs and constraints of operations and to navigate in a decentralized governance environment
- Ability to adapt to changing circumstances, contexts, tasks, responsibilities and people.
- Communication, presentation and diplomacy skills
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Ability to develop and maintain relationships at different levels of the organization
- Service oriented
- Result oriented
- 5 years’ experience as a project leader backed up by project management certification
- Strong experience in leading a project team
- Experience in management of IT projects in an international environment
- Experience within MSF, preferably in the field.
- Fluency in English, written and spoken
- Masters or Bachelor degree
- Good understanding of Human Resources processes and process design
Starting date: ASAP
Contract: Fixed-term, full time
Duration: 2 years
Location: Any MSF hub in Europe, preferably Paris or Barcelona
Deadline for applications: 6 July 2017
Please submit all applications only by email to IOemail@example.com stating “Symphony Deputy Program Manager” in the title.
Please submit your CV and cover letter in ONE file and name the file with your LAST NAME.
-Only short-listed candidates will be contacted-