Research & Knowledge Management Internship - SIMM and SINDY Projects
Location: Geneva; Candidates must already have the right to work in Switzerland or hold a European Passport
Duration: 6 months; Full-time position (split 50% SIMM and 50% SINDY)
Reporting to: SIMM Project Manager and OCG Security Advisor
Gross Monthly Remuneration: CHF 1,500 with first degree CHF 2,000 with Masters
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international, independent, medical humanitarian organisation that delivers emergency aid to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, healthcare exclusion and natural disasters. MSF offers assistance to people based only on need and irrespective of race, religion, gender or political affiliation.
The SIMM is primarily an international knowledge management project (best practices and relevant information) focusing mostly on kidnappings. The overall objective of SIMM is to contribute to the mitigation of the impact of critical security incidents on MSF's social mission and staff by enhancing MSF's capacity to deal with such situations, first and foremost kidnapping of its personnel. The need for solid data based on our experiences is critical to ensure a proper learning process and develop a more inclusive and open approach. The SIMM project is based on a review of past cases (via a collection of archives complemented by interviews of key people) and on the meta-analysis of key cross-cutting issues.
Specific objectives and project's direct outputs:
- Archiving all existing, relevant internal documents as well as interesting external selected documents, articles or books and make them available in a safe manner.
- Conduct and make available studies of selected situations.
- Develop and make available meta-analysis of cross-cutting issues of critical interest highlighting best practices.
SINDY is an on-line incident database to input all Security and Safety events/incidents that directly affect our staff and/or our operations. As an (MSF) internal tool, it allows incidents to be entered directly from field level, following a systematic qualification of the incidents. The data can be used for different purposes: Operational Managers & Security Advisor can give feedback to a specific incident; the data base allows the Security Advisor to make analyses of all the incidents within an OC, hence enhancing institutional memory and learning process. Since January 2015, SINDY is the common tool used by the 5 OCs, including OCG. SINDY knowledge management project aim at retroactively implement SINDY by collecting, reviewing and integrating all security & safety incidents that have affected OCG between 2006 and 2014.
Specific objectives and project’s direct outputs:
- Collecting and analyzing past incidents reports, with a specific focus on qualification (according to SINDY case definitions) and quantification (seriousness of the impact and consequence of the incident on MSF).
- Re-formulating and re-framing incident reports according to analysis outcomes.
- Encoding incident reports in SINDY database.
PLACE WITHIN THE ORGANIZATION
The position will focus on providing assistance to the SIMM project manager and OCG Security Advisor in terms of archiving, managing information, researching and any other support/logistical aspects.
Information and knowledge management
- Organize the information management and archiving of the SIMM project.
- Assisting in the development and maintenance of the SIMM database and library by updating archiving and cataloguing SIMM related documents (internal, external, etc..)
- Assist in the reporting related to the SIMM project (accountability, presentation, etc…)
- Research and collect incident reports and related information in OCG;
- Organize the information management and archiving in SINDY;
- Assist the OCG Security Advisor in evaluating SINDY in its current version (Sindy .02) and needs for the next version to be developed (Sindy .03).
- Conducting short research work on key SIMM related themes and providing documents on the state of art on various domains related to security and kidnappings.
- Conducting research work on OCG incidents so to ensure their accurate qualification and quantification;
- Attend external events to gather elements and synthetize them in working notes.
- Scanning all events related to the scope of the SIMM and SINDY.
Administrative and logistical support
- Assisting in organizing meetings, including arranging suitable dates, sending invitations, booking rooms, setting up and supporting on the video and teleconference facilities.
- Writing minutes of internal meetings. Proofreading as required.
- Assisting in the maintenance of internal and external contact lists
- Other tasks as required.
- Genuine interest in, understanding of and commitment to, MSF’s humanitarian principles. Prior humanitarian or field experience a plus.
- Interest in history and research.
- Able to work in a multi-cultural environment; possessing maturity, and patience.
- Excellent attention to detail and very rigorous in his/her method of work.
- Good writing and analytical skills, computer literate with ability to navigate and research the internet.
- Strong organizational skills, reliable and self-motivated with the ability to work independently
- Strong preference for candidates familiar with searching and manipulating quantitative and qualitative data.
- Discretion - given the nature of the subject full confidentiality will be required
- Degree in political sciences, history, social sciences, journalism.
- Fluent in French and English. Knowledge of other languages would be an advantage.
Candidates must already have the right to work in Switzerland or hold a European passport
Starting date: July 2015
Contract: 6 month contract 100% (split 50% SIMM and 50% SINDY); (possible extension to 12 months for SIMM 50% only)
Deadline for applications: June 10 2015
Please submit all applications only by email to:firstname.lastname@example.org stating “SIMM & SINDY Internship” in the title.
Please submit your CV and cover letter in ONE file and name the file with your LAST NAME.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.