Regional Communication Coordinator, East Africa
Title: Regional Communication Coordinator, East Africa
Duration: 1 year Full-time position
Reporting to: International Communication Coordinator
Application deadline: 1 September 2017
I. MSF INTERNATIONAL
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international, independent, medical humanitarian organisation that delivers emergency aid to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, healthcare exclusion and natural disasters. MSF offers assistance to people based only on need and irrespective of race, religion, gender or political affiliation.
MSF International is the legal entity that binds MSF’s 21 sections, 24 associations and other offices together. Based in Geneva, MSF International provides coordination, information and support to the MSF Movement, in addition to implementing international projects and initiatives as requested.
II. POSITION BACKGROUND
The Regional Communication Coordinator (RCC) leads the Nairobi-based Regional Information Office (RIO) in East Africa, working with key media and the digital hub. The RIO team works to generate a better understanding of MSF’s operations in the eastern Africa and, by liaising with international media based in Nairobi and leading a team comprising digital and press managers, helps MSF public Communication raise awareness about the crises in the region to which MSF is responding. The countries in the portfolio are South Sudan, Sudan, Ethiopia, Burundi, Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Somalia and Democratic Republic of Congo. This could evolve, depending on MSF’s humanitarian and medical response in other countries in the region covered by Nairobi-based international and regional media.
III. PLACE IN THE ORGANISATION
The Regional Communication Coordinator is part of MSF International’s communication team. He/she reports to the International Communication Coordinator based in Geneva and works closely with key staff in MSF’s five Operational Centres, in the field, at headquarters, the Access Campaign, and the main Advocacy staff in the region.
The RCC supervises the regional information office team, which is composed of a press manager and digital manager.
By the end of 2017, MSF will start setting up a regional East Africa branch office in Nairobi. Over the next 18 months, the Regional Information Office will be gradually transferred from MSF International to the MSF East Africa regional branch office. The Regional Communication Coordinator will work closely with the head of the East Africa branch office to plan this transfer and ensure a smooth transition. This position is open for one year taking into account that after this period the main roles of the RIO will be incorporated into the branch office.
IV. OBJECTIVES OF THE POSITION
The purpose of the Regional Information Office, led by the Regional Communication Coordinator, is to help boost the impact of MSF’s public communication on humanitarian crises in the region to which MSF is responding. The Regional Communication Coordinator leads the team in this role and provides a regional perspective to MSF’s Communication.
V. MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES
- Coordinate MSF communication initiatives in the region
- Liaise with MSF field Communication staff in the region to keep abreast of the main ongoing emergencies. Ensure that the RIO team provides them with the necessary technical support and give them advice from a regional perspective to help improve our Communication and dissemination strategies.
- Liaise with field Communication teams and the HQ Communication teams to enhance the coherence and output of MSF Communication on specific issues and themes in the region.
- Lead on the production of regional public crisis updates with information on MSF operations and key issues witnessed by MSF teams.
- Provide a regional perspective and analysis of our Communication
- Maintain an “early warning system” on regional issues and news. Monitor major media trends for specific locations and share this analysis with MSF communication staff. This should include timely ‘flagging’ on Communication opportunities and risks, and insight into the priorities and ‘angles’ of influential correspondents based in Nairobi.
- Provide Communication advice on regional issues: advise the field-based Communication managers and officers, as well as the operations managers, on specific Communication issues relevant for the region.
- Provide analysis on how other organisations communicate on key issues and give insight into their public agendas; network with Communication officials from UN/other agencies and NGOs based in the region.
- Liaise with the MSF advocacy representatives in the region to increase synergy between bilateral efforts and public Communication initiatives in the region.
- Represent MSF in regional representation fora (related to public Communication) and relay MSF concerns and priorities.
- Liaise with MSF Communication teams in other African media hubs (currently, Dakar, Johannesburg, and Cairo), in order to maximise output, share ideas and coordinate initiatives.
- Produce a monthly situation report on the RIO Office’s activities, including an analysis of MSF in regional media, and media trends.
- Practical Operational Communication support
- Be available to act as emergency Communication officer during emergencies, crises or incidents in the region.
- Be able to provide communication support during the first days of a new emergency or a crisis situation in the region either in situ or by proxy.
- Be available to offer support (distance or in-the-field) to newly arriving Field Communication Managers in countries in the region.
- Managing RIO Communication Unit
- The Regional Communication Coordinator manages the Regional Information Office in Nairobi, and strengthens its capacity to provide support to our field Communication staff in the region as needed.
- He/she supervises and supports a press manager who acts as MSF’s media focal point in the region. He/she helps strengthen the role to maintain a strong network with regional and international media and correspondents, and an analysis of the main relevant media trends.
- He/she supervises and supports a digital manager who manages regional social media accounts and provides technical support to the field Communication teams on the use of social media. He/she helps strengthen this role to help develop social media strategies that support our operational Communication objectives.
- The RIO team members also provide production support to the field as needed: this includes design, infographics, and facilitating the recruitment of cameramen and photographers in the region for quick deployment during emergencies.
- The RCC is responsible for the management of the annual regional Communication office budget
VI. PROFILE REQUIREMENTS
- Previous working experience of at least five years in Communication, journalism or public relations.
- Degree in journalism, Communication, humanitarian affairs, political sciences or another relevant field.
- Previous working experience in media management, content production and coordinating communication strategies, notably during emergencies/crises.
- Strongly desirable: experience with MSF or other international NGOs.
- Solid understanding of dilemmas associated with humanitarian assistance.
- Previous experience working in the East and Horn of Africa is an asset.
- Excellent management and communication skills, outgoing personality, good representation.
- Ability to multitask and organise work on various dossiers at the same time while maintaining appropriate priorities.
- Social media skills.
- Excellent command of spoken and written English.
- French would be an asset
- Regional language (s) an asset
- Computer literacy (Word, Excel and digital media)
Starting date: October 2017 (or earlier)
Contract:1 year Full-time position
Deadline for applications: 1 September 2017
Please submit all applications only by email to:
IOfirstname.lastname@example.org stating “Regional Communication Coordinator” in the title.
Please submit your CV and cover letter in
ONE file and name the file with your LAST NAME.
-Only short-listed candidates will be contacted-