Project Officer - Medical Care Under Fire (MCuF)
Location: Geneva preferred (other MSF Operational Centres may be considered)
Duration: to 30 April 2016; 100% (80% considered)
Reporting to: Project Manager Medical Care Under Fire
MSF Experience Essential
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international, independent, medical humanitarian organisation that delivers emergency aid to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, healthcare exclusion and natural disasters. MSF offers assistance to people based only on need and irrespective of race, religion, gender or political affiliation.
MSF International is the legal entity that binds MSF’s 21 sections, 24 associations and other offices together. Based in Geneva, MSF International provides coordination, information and support to the MSF Movement, as well as implements international projects and initiatives as requested.
The overall objective of the Medical Care Under Fire (MCUF) Project is to improve patients’ safe access to healthcare and the security of patients and staff in healthcare structures by using evidence-based, context-specific, targeted advocacy to promote respect of the principles of independence and neutrality of the medical mission.
- Designing and implementing a qualitative and quantitative data collection system to capture violent incidents, their impact and MSF response in 10 pilot countries and for five (5) historical missions, and to analyse the results.
- Determining the public health impact on the population in pilot contexts and the problems linked to access to healthcare.
- Determining and implementing evidence-based, context-specific local and regional advocacy activities to improve safe access to and delivery of healthcare.
- Engaging in the global debate on this topic and participate in joint activities with relevant actors when appropriate.
- Engaging and maintaining MSF Movement support and contribution to the success of this campaign through strong internal communication throughout the project period, especially at field level.
PLACE IN THE ORGANISATION
The Project Officer MCuF reports to the Project Manager Medical Care Under Fire and coordinates with the MCuF Deputy Programme Manager, MCuF operational focal points, and reflections centres.
- Compile written project documents related to MCUF such as periodical updates and documents used for external and internal representation
- Conduct research on MCUF issues and contexts upon request of the Project Manager and provide feedback and analysis on other research undertaken in the project
- Edit research documents and synthesize information and data to be integrated into case studies and reports
- Assist the Deputy Project Manager with creating internal and/or external communications material, particularly with writing articles for the internal MCUF newsletter
- Conduct external and internal representation when needed
- Travel, at the request of the Project Manager, to assist field teams with the organization of workshops and presentations with local stakeholders
- Organize, participate and take minutes in relevant MCUF project meetings.
- Translate and edit documents from/to French and English languages.
- Any other tasks as requested by the MCUF Project Manager, including administrative work
- Experience in academic writing, research and editing
- Advanced university degree in political or social sciences
- MSF experience compulsory
- Experience in editing or academic writing in humanitarian organisations and or complex organisations
- Excellent organizational skills with demonstrated ability to produce research projects in a timely manner
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment, possessing maturity, patience and understanding.
- Research and writing skills.
- Analytical and problem solving skills.
- Fluent written and spoken English and French.
Location: Geneva preferred (another MSF OC considered)
Starting date: as soon as possible
Contract: to 30 April 2016 100%
Application closing date: 25 July 2015
MSF experience is essential for this position
Please submit all applications only by email to: IOfirstname.lastname@example.org stating "Project Officer MCuF" in the title.
Please submit your CV and cover letter in ONE file and name the file with your LAST NAME.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.