MSF OCP Association Communications Officer - New York
New York - Full-Time
Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international independent medical humanitarian organization that delivers emergency aid to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, natural and man-made disasters, and exclusion from health care in more than 60 countries. When medical assistance is not enough to save lives, MSF will speak out against abuses its teams witness while providing medical relief.
In 2012, the four Associations in the MSF Operational Center Paris (OCP) group (Australia, France, Japan and USA) launched “The Portal”, a common associative web platform, which is completely bilingual in French and English. The primary goal of this internal website is to provide up-to-date information on issues central to MSF’s social mission and operations, catalyze critical thinking inside the Association and create a space for debate where Association and Board members have the opportunity to engage with each other and the Executive. Two Portal Editors (one in France and one in the US) are working closely together to fulfil this goal.
MSF OCP is looking for an OCP Association Communications Officer based in New York. He/she will work closely with the Association Coordinators and the Boards for website content as well as coordinate with some designated members of the Executive (in particular Communications and Operations departments) in each section. He/she will also contribute to the animation of the associative life, including on the field.
In close collaboration with the Associative Coordinators of the four OCP Associations, the Paris-based Portal Editor and the MSF USA’s Board and President, the New York-based OCP Association Communications Officer will be responsible for:
Developing and implementing strategies and innovative ways to engage the
Association through the communication tools:
- Identify engaging topics, relevant to the ongoing debates.
- Create compelling and relevant editorial and multimedia content including articles, interviews (of Board members, field and operations staff…), special dossiers, newswires, etc.
- Utilizing various media platforms and techniques (social media, direct email, newsletter, Google analytics, etc.) to strategize associative engagement, as well as create presentations that reflect the progress and impact of the Portal,
- Ahead of MSF USA Board meetings, create relevant content shedding light on the topics to be discussed
- Update all sections of The Portal in English (Country Notes, Asso pages…)
- Make sure the French contents are translated and posted in English
- Supervise translators and translate articles from French to English and to ensure all contents are always up to date and accurate in both French and English
- Collaborate with IT and Communication departments on website maintenance and updates
- Supervising translators to ensure all content is always up to date and accurate in both French and English, translate Paris Portal Editor work
- Conducting and facilitating MSF Seminars, Debates and Presentations, training others in MSF Field Projects to conduct presentations and debates, curate discussions and content from presentations, debates and seminars Improving communication between field and office by contributing to associative projects, creating governance of monitoring tools, discussions of best practice, etc.
- Collaborating with Paris Portal Editor, Association Coordinators (Australia, France, Japan, and the US) to make changes, develop and enhance the portal to better serve the Association
- Participate to the elaboration of the English version of the Dazibao, an internal print newsletter of OCP, in collaboration with the French Portal Editor (every two months)
- Produce and distribute the associative newsletter (PAD Newsletter, Portal’Express in English
- Produce and ad hoc newsletters when required, such as for the General Assembly, Field Associative Debates (FADs), breaking news, or associative surveys
- Engage members and advertise Portal contents through the animation of Facebook groups, build a community of members (PAD and English GUPA groups)
- Provide support for the animation of the Australian and Japanese Facebook groups if needed
Ad hoc tools
- Create and implement ad hoc tools (leaflets, booklets, films, etc.) for specific projects (e.g. General Assembly) in collaboration with the Association team (GUPA) based in Paris
To meet these objectives, the OCP Association Communications Officer will have to proactively stay up-to-date on MSF activities, both executive and associative. He/she will monitor field activities via reading MSF reports and updates, debriefing and interviewing returning volunteers, etc.
MSF-USA Board Meetings
- Attending MSF-USA Board meetings and internal debates is mandatory. Every month, the OCP Association Communications Officer will summarize the Board’s discussions in a short article (What was said at the MSF USA Board meeting?) and share this information through the various internal communications channels, such as the Portal and Association newsletter.
General Assembly (GA)
- The position contributes to the development of content, including interviews with Board candidates and background articles related to planned debates, for MSFUSA’s annual General Assembly
Field Associative Debates (FADs)
- Support coordination teams in identifying topics and tool for the debates
- Collect and edit feedback and outcomes from the FADs, ensure distribution via relevant communication channels (Portal, newsletters, etc.)
Associative life in the Field
- Support organization of Association trainings in the field
Associative life at Headquarters
- Support the MSF-USA Internal Communications Unit (ICU) in the development of HQ and Partner MSF-USA Internal Events (eg: BBL, Program Updates, Evening Debates)
- Demonstrated experience in the communications field, particularly with managing editorial content, writing, editing, use of web platforms and social networks
- Excellent oral and written English and French language communication skills.
- Knowledge of multimedia tools
- Proven networking skills
- Team player able to work in fast paced environment with constantly shifting priorities and adaptable to different work environments
- MSF field and/or HQ experience is a strong plus.
- Enthusiasm for the Associative concept and the MSF movement
- Minimum 3 years of directly relevant experience
Other strengths required:
- Collaborative and diplomatic
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Interpersonal and Presentation Skills
- Engaged in MSF activities and vision
- Flexibility and mobility, able to travel
- Autonomous in his/her work
- Free spirit, open minded
- Highly motivated by the project
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Interpersonal and Presentation Skills
To apply send letter of interest with CV to: Employment.email@example.com, Attn.:
OCP Association Communications Officer Search.
Application deadline: Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis as this position is
expected to be filled ASAP.
Salary – high 60’s to mid 70’s. Comprehensive benefits and relocation support provided. Generous
paid time off. A friendly, supportive environment with growth potential.