Messaging Harmonization - IT Project Manager
Location: Amsterdam, Barcelona, Brussels preferred (Geneva, Paris possible)
Duration: 18 months (with the possibility of extension); Full-time position
Reporting to: Messaging Harmonization Project Board
Start date: As soon as possible
Salary: MSF salaries are set in the lower range of Not for Profit salaries
Application date: 14 July 2015
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international, independent, medical humanitarian organisation that delivers emergency aid to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, healthcare exclusion and natural disasters. MSF offers assistance to people based only on need and irrespective of race, religion, gender or political affiliation.
MSF International is the legal entity that binds MSF’s 21 sections, 24 associations and other offices together. Based in Geneva, MSF International provides coordination, information and support to the MSF Movement, as well as implements international projects and initiatives as requested.
The MSF movement is an international collaboration of 23 sections, five (5) Operational Centers (OCs) and three (3) supply centers worldwide. The five (5) OCs each manage a portfolio of field projects out of their offices in Amsterdam, Barcelona, Brussels, Geneva and Paris.
There are as many IT departments in MSF as sections which make 23 in total. Together, they support over 11.000 systems users spread over our offices and missions across the globe. Although the 23 sections operate -in principle- autonomously, IT strives to maximize interoperability and share resources to the full extend.
All sections have implemented progressively as a result of historical choices, different messaging systems that do not support today the full interoperability required between sections. The current messaging technology landscape is diversified (lotus Notes, Microsoft Exchange, Office 365…)
A decision was taken in April 2015 to migrate all the existing towards one single system. This decision has been endorsed by the Executive Committee of MSF and project delivery has been delegated to the ISM (Information System Management platform). This project is expected to start asap and to be completed by end of 2016.
PLACE IN THE ORGANISATION
The Project Manager reports to the Messaging Harmonization Project Board. The project Board is the final decision level for the project.
The Project Manager has a privileged link with the ISM members in lead over the messaging harmonization project (the ISM is the MSF Information System Management platform). The Project Manager will also interact closely with the IT managers of the different sections to ensure alignment and support in the project delivery.
OBJECTIVES OF THE POSITION
Under the responsibility of the Messaging Project Board, the Project Manager will lead the migration of the messaging systems MSF-wide, mainly from Lotus Notes and MS Exchange, to Microsoft i365 in the cloud.
- Following the earlier stages of the project (analysis, design…), refine the scope definition and revise the business case if needed
- Define and the global project for design, realization/implementation messaging harmonization in the different sections, ensuring that program deliverables and outcomes are implemented within scope, on-time, on-budget, on-quality, including: project governance, project plan, organization, product and project strategies (including, but not exclusively: processes, configuration, development, guarantee of adequate performance, implementation, commissioning, support)
- Define the project quality principles and support the Board in the definition of the project KPIs
- Coordinate the global Messaging Migration plan with the local offices plans for implementation
- Ensure and promote the liaison and coordination with other concurrent or interdependent projects in MSF, when relevant for the project scope and MSF needs
- Ensure full transparency, according to the project governance
- Manage the project team and internal stakeholders to achieve the desired implementation
- Manage overall communication and reporting plan with stakeholders and end users; facilitating and support change management activities in each entity participating in the project and manage the expectations of the stakeholders
- Facilitate executive decision making by the Program Board by: Progress reporting, Issue management, risk management, reporting process and pro-active proposals for the project
- Support the Board in the Change Management request process, to ensure the focus in the project scope
- Establish and monitor compliance with MSF standards or practices for documentation, data, training, IT strategy, governance and architecture
- Provide day to day administrative and functional direction to the project team
The role requires an experienced IT project manager, adept at identifying business requirements, producing system/service specifications, managing a tender process, and working with various international platforms and stakeholders in a complex environment.
We are looking for an enthusiastic candidate who has solid experience in leading and managing large Messaging Migration projects in an international setting. You will have at least five (5) years’ experience as a program or project manager of which leading and managing a complex stakeholder landscape is an important part. You will be required to have a good understanding and experience of Messaging, Identity management and Unified Communication principles. You will have strong communication and stakeholder management skills as well as a service oriented attitude. Functioning in an international environment, an excellent command of English and an ability to travel are essential.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships and partnerships with key stakeholders
- Ability to understand the needs and constraints of operations and to navigate in a decentralized governance environment
- Ability to adapt to changing circumstances, contexts, tasks, responsibilities and people.
- Strong communication, presentation and diplomacy skills
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Ability to develop and maintain relationships at different levels of the organization
- Service oriented
- Result oriented
- Five (5) years’experience as a project leader backed up by project management certification (PMP, Prince2, etc…)
- Experience in building up and leading a project team
- Experience in end to end management of large messaging migration projects in an international environment
- Experience within MSF or another humanitarian organization will be an asset
- Fluency in English, written and spoken
- Masters or Bachelor degree in computer science or related field
- Good understanding of messaging infrastructure
The position requires a fair amount of travel (up to 50%), mainly in the operation centers headquarters, but potentially also in other partner sections and for field visits.
Starting date: as soon as possible - immediate availability is an advantage
Contract: 18 month contract (with the possibility of extension) 100%
Location: Amsterdam, Barcelona, Brussels preferred (Geneva, Paris, may be possible)
Deadline for applications: 14 July 2015
Please submit all applications only by email to: IOfirstname.lastname@example.org stating “Messaging – IT Project Manager” in the title.
Please submit your CV and cover letter in ONE file and name the file with your LAST NAME.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.