MENA (Middle East and North Africa) Communication Officer
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF)/Doctors Without Borders/أطباء بلا حدود, is an international, independent, medical humanitarian organisation that delivers emergency aid to people in over 60 countries who are affected by armed conflict, epidemics, natural disasters and exclusion from healthcare. MSF offers assistance to people based on need, irrespective of race, religion, gender or political affiliation. Our actions are guided by medical ethics and the principles of neutrality and impartiality.
The MENA Communication Officer will provide communication support and advise to MSF’s teams managing humanitarian projects in the region in order to bring attention to the plight of the populations we assist, as well as to contribute to the visibility of MSF’s global mandate and humanitarian work.
Job Title: MENA Communications Officer
Location: Beirut, Lebanon with regular travel to MSF projects and offices
Replacement of: New Post
Starting Date: ASAP
Contract Duration: 1 year renewable
Language: Fluent in Arabic and English (written and spoken)
- Develop strategy and coordinate communication needs and opportunities in support of MSF’s medical projects in the MENA region
- Closely monitor and analyse Arab media’s reporting on issues relevant to MSF’s projects in order to identify communication opportunities and risks
- In collaboration with MSF’s communication teams in HQ and country teams develop coherent communication strategies and tools in support of MSF’s medical projects in Libya, Egypt, Algeria, Lebanon and Syria
- Profile and build awareness of MSF’s work, projects and identity and effectively communicate MSF’s concerns on humanitarian crises in the region among national, regional and international media
- Work closely with Country Managers and advocacy and communication teams in order to identify and advise on themes/situations on which MSF should consider positioning itself publicly; support the development of dissemination strategies, messages and tools to ensure such public positioning in Arab media
- Coordinate with other MSF communication officers in the region and the Regional Senior Communications Coordinator in Amman to ensure coherence, efficiency and impact of MSF’s communication initiatives in the region.
- In collaboration with the Human Resources Specialist for MENA, develop and implement communication activities in support of MSF’s HR strategies in the region
2. Develop networks and the practical communication capacity to serve MSF’s communication needs and objectives in the region
- In collaboration with and in support of the ongoing work of other communication staff in the region, contribute to the development of a strategic network of local, regional and international journalists based in MENA countries, reporting on humanitarian issues
- Facilitate journalists’ field visits to MSF projects and pitch key issues / projects to journalists
- Act as a spokesperson for MSF communications if need be
- Coach MSF spokespeople and provide media training for any field staff dealing with the media in the region
- Be available to act as emergency press officer and crisis info focal point during specific emergencies/crisis/incidents in the region and facilitate journalists’ field visits to MSF’s medical projects in the region
- Provide information/data to the MSF communications network related to MSF medical projects and presence in the region
- Develop relationships with networks of creative agencies, film makers, photographers, production companies and printing houses to support MSF's multi-media efforts in the region
- Previous working experience of at least 5 years in communications, journalism or public relations
- Previous working experience in media management, coordinating communication strategies notably at time of emergencies/crisis and content production
- Experience with MSF or other international NGOs
- Key experience, interest and knowledge in the MENA region and in humanitarian related matters
- Digital and social media skills
- Fluency in Arabic and English (both spoken and written)
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Understanding of the importance of community acceptance and perception
- Ability to work independently and report relevant information clearly and concisely
- Excellent management and communication skills, outgoing personality, good representation skills
- Excellent personal organisational ability
- Flexibility to travel.
- Fluency in French is an asset;
- Previous experience in the humanitarian and/or associative sector
- Photo and video skills.
Send CV and cover letter before 22 March 2015 to Maïté Vollemaere at email@example.com