Liaison Assistant (Internship) – Geneva
Title: Liaison Assistant
Duration: 3 months full-time, or 6 months at 50% part-time
Reporting to: International Operations, Advocacy & Representation Coordinator and Humanitarian Affairs Officer
I. MSF INTERNATIONAL
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international, independent, medical humanitarian organisation that delivers emergency aid to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, healthcare exclusion and natural disasters. MSF offers assistance to people based only on need and irrespective of race, religion, gender or political affiliation.
MSF International is the legal entity that binds MSF’s 21 sections, 24 associations and other offices together. Based in Geneva, MSF International provides coordination, information and support to the MSF Movement, as well as implements international projects and initiatives as requested. MSF International also provides administrative support to the MSF Access Campaign.
II. POSITION BACKGROUND
The Humanitarian Advocacy and Representation Team (HART) provides support to the MSF operations through linkages and actions to and from external networks (political, humanitarian, medical, and civil society). The HART maintains active relations with its network and continually informs the MSF operations of the relevant analysed information. The HART influences its network through specific actions for the benefit of the MSF programs and MSF operations’ goals. In carrying out its actions, the HART responds to direct requests from the operational program managers (desks). Longer term positioning and actions are also co-ordinated within the HART team and again are directed by the MSF operations at the HQ level.
The HART is composed of 6 members under the international office (Geneva x 2, New York, Brussels, and 2 regional representations in the Middle East and Asia) and 5 members under partner sections (MSF UK, MSF USA, MSF South Africa, MSF Japan, MSF China).
III. PLACE IN THE ORGANISATION
The Liaison Assistant will be part of the HART and hierarchically and functionally accountable to the Humanitarian Affairs Officer (Geneva, MSF International).
IV. OBJECTIVES OF THE POSITION
The Liaison Assistant supports the HART in Geneva in providing administrative and research support to the advocacy and humanitarian diplomacy activities for Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) from the International Office of MSF based in Geneva, Switzerland. The Liaison Assistant position contributes to the mapping of MSF key contacts and interlocutors in Geneva.
V. MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES
Support to representation
- Maintain an up-to-date mapping of external HART contacts and ensure the proper maintenance of visit cards and databases.
- Arrange meetings with external actors such as the United Nations, Permanent Missions to the UN, NGOs, Red Cross Red Crescent movement and other external actors based in Geneva.
- Draft formal correspondence, including meeting requests and follow up letters to external contacts.
- Share MSF information such as press releases and reports with key contacts in Geneva, as assigned.
Support for research
- Monitor and track external organizations positioning on specific issues as assigned.
- Ensure a proper maintenance of archives.
- Be able to provide support the Humanitarian Advocacy and Representation Team as per needs
VI. PROFILE REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor's degree (BA) is a minimum requirement; in political sciences, international affairs, international humanitarian law, or humanitarian studies.
- Ideally studying or just finishing studies
- Knowledge of international humanitarian affairs.
- Strong computer literacy, including ability to use word processing and spreadsheet and database software and to search the internet for research purposes.
- Outstanding proven time management and organizational skills.
- Keen attention to details with ability to track multiple projects at one time.
- Ability to prioritize ongoing versus immediate needs appropriately.
- Excellent communications skills including fluent written and spoken English; French a major advantage.
- Strong ability to develop contacts and to work under pressure and independently.
- Commitment to MSF's humanitarian principles.
Starting date: ASAP
Contract: Internship - 3 months at 100% or 6 months at 50%
Deadline for applications: 20 January 2016
Please submit all applications only by email to: IOemail@example.com stating “Liaison Assistant Internship” in the title.
Please submit your CV and cover letter in ONE file and name the file with your LAST NAME.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted