ITC UniData Training and Helpdesk officer, Brussels
Location: Brussels - Belgium
Contract: 50% time – fixed-term 12 months
Starting date: February 2016 or as soon as possible
Deadline for applications: 19 February 2016
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international, independent, medical humanitarian organisation that delivers emergency aid to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, healthcare exclusion and natural disasters. MSF offers assistance to people based only on need and irrespective of race, religion, gender or political affiliation.
MSF International is the legal entity that binds MSF’s 21 sections, 24 associations and other offices together. Based in Geneva, MSF International provides coordination, information and support to the MSF movement, and implements international projects and initiatives as requested.
THE INTERNATIONAL TECHNICAL COORDINATION (ITC, based in Brussels)
The ITC was created to maintain consistency in the choice of medical and non-medical articles between MSF Operational Centres (OC) in order to improve MSF interventions, while taking into account field realities. Proposed and developed by the logistics and medical departments, ITC was officially recognised at the international level in 1994 and integrated into MSF International in 2006.
The role of ITC is to coordinate decisions taken and to inform and advise decisional bodies.
The ITC is in the process of replacing its article database and coding system by a new central master data management system (UniData) in the larger context of a codification project. All articles, including kits and modules must be created in that central system that in its turn will feed the downstream systems with article information (European Supply Centres (ESCs) and field tools).
PLACE IN THE ORGANISATION
The ITC UniData Training and Helpdesk Officer is a one year position, part of the International Technical Coordination team and reports to the UniData Training and Helpdesk Manager. The Trainer and Helpdesk Officer has a strong functional link in the daily duties with the Project Manager of the codification project UniData.
PROJECT BACKGROUND AND OBJECTIVES OF THE POSITION
The Codification/UniData project is benefiting the following actors:
- The OC field will obtain clearer technical sheets (specifications) on the articles in real time, therefore preventing mistakes;
- The Operational Centres will be able to provide clearer specifications on the articles being used in the field in real time;
- The European Supply Centres (ESC) will improve their efficiency through the clarification and noticeable rationalisation of the assortment of articles;
- ITC , through an easier and open tool, will enable a collaboration for the specifications of the articles and the way they are presented to field, OCs and ESCs;
- The coordination bodies or decision making bodies such as International Medical Directors, International Logistics Directors, Information and System Management, and Executive Committee.
The Codification project is entering the Go Live phase where approximately 80 to 200 actors (number will be assessed in early 2016) will access the UniData platform and need to be trained to access the tool. UniData is MSF’s central supply article database that details all items available for the field and shares article changes with the Movement. The online platform of UniData gives an oversight over which standard and non-standard articles are available as resources for operations, in alignment with MSF guidelines and protocols to fit the needs of the projects.
As part of the ITC team, the Trainer/Helpdesk Officer will work together with the Technical Data Manager to organize trainings for UniData for the different entities of the MSF movement: ESC’s and OC’s; (s)he will also share the Helpdesk duties to respond to questions from users.
The responsibilities will be shared in collaboration with the Technical Data Manager/ UniData Training and Helpdesk Manager, who is currently performing the responsibilities.
Trainer of all MSF staff that will use the central system = UniData
- Conduct trainings on the use of UniData in different OC’s and supply centres
- Assess the level of expertise and skills of trainees
- Organise regularly information sessions on the UniData-tool by video conference for the persons in the MSF movement
- Make demo presentations of the UniData tool for the international and technical working groups
- Get familiar with the functioning and the use of e-learning tools used in the MSF movement
- Prepare training materials: use e-learning platform for training people and test the people on the ability to function correctly in this new system
- Organise training courses for the coordinations at field level via an e-learning platform
Helpdesk for all MSF staff that will use the central system = UniData
- Respond to questions from UniData users
- Technical support for UniData users
A Bachelor or Master’s degree in the field of training and/or education.
- Database management experience;
- Experience in designing and delivering training: conventional classroom-based format training and e-learning.
- Familiar with Word and Excel;
- Experience with information systems;
- Languages: fluent English (both spoken and written) and French;
- Organised, flexible, diplomatic, good interpersonal skills, able to coordinate and implement decisions;
- Training skills;
- Ability to work independently.
- Occasional short travel in Europe.
Deadline for applications: 19 February 2016
Please submit all applications only by email to: IOemail@example.com stating “UniData training officer” in the title
Please submit only one file containing your CV and cover letter and name the file with your last name only.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.