ITC Logistics Assistant
Position: ITC Logistics Assistant
Contract: Permanent, 80%
Starting date: 2 January 2018
I- MSF INTERNATIONAL
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international, independent, medical humanitarian organisation that delivers emergency aid to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, healthcare exclusion and natural disasters. MSF offers assistance to people based only on need and irrespective of race, religion, gender or political affiliation.
MSF International is the legal entity that binds MSF’s 21 sections, 24 associations and other offices together. Based in Geneva, MSF International provides coordination, information and support to the MSF movement, and implements international projects and initiatives as requested.
II- POSITION BACKGROUND
The International Technical Coordination ITC was originally created to maintain consistency in the choice of medical and non-medical articles between MSF sections in order to improve MSF interventions, while taking into account field realities. Proposed and developed by the logistics and medical departments, ITC was officially recognised at International level in 1994 and integrated into MSF International in 2006.
ITC core role is coordinating the expression of the demand of articles (medical and non-medical) and ensure it is properly translated for supply whose role is to fulfil that demand. The role of ITC is to coordinate decision making, to inform and advise decisional bodies but it is not responsible for taking decisions.
In 2016, UniData has been implemented, which is the unique central article database of MSF that contains all the codes created in MSF, avoiding duplication, improving the articles description. Therefore, it provides visibility on the expression of the demand and helps streamlining supply chain processes. UniData details all items available for the field and shares article changes with the Movement. It contains all standard and non-standard articles with their descriptions. UniData shares this article information with all relevant MSF Staff and systems including to the field.
III- PLACE IN THE ORGANISATION
- The person reports to the ITC Logistics Referent.
- The person will be interacting with the ITC Logistics Officer, the European Supply Centre referents (ESC referents), the ITC team in Brussels and the international working group members in the MSF Operational Centres (OC).
The position of the ITC Logistics Assistant is a permanent position (80%) at the ITC in Amsterdam.
IV- OBJECTIVES OF THE POSITION
The ITC Logistics Assistant’s role is to support in keeping the logistical article database in line with the codification rules.
The ITC Logistics team will consist of a Logistics Assistant to act as a ‘1st line - single point of contact’, and a Logistics Data Steward to serve as ‘2nd line support’, to supervise, to follow-up on complex issues and to steer the team. In addition an ITC Logistics Officer is present for several months to ensure structural improvements.
The Logistics Assistant will report to the ITC Logistics Referent. S/he will act as primary point of contact for ITC Logistics for the data owners in the ESCs and the OC referents. The Logistics Assistant will also provide 1st line support for UniData, following up on newly created articles, article descriptions as well as replying to questions posed in the system. Also the Logistics Assistant will assist the Logistical Data Steward with basic data modification through the ‘Backlog’ project when his/her primary tasks allow it.
V- MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES
- Single point of contact – receive, flag, answer or distribute to appropriate persons the incoming:
- Feedback (in UniData)
- Other incoming requests for information/advice in the office or on the phone.
- 1st line support
- Checks, modifies new articles and descriptions, following the codification rules and guidelines set by the Logistical Data Steward.
- Validates new articles and descriptions
- Modifies existing articles and descriptions when needed
- Communicates with stakeholders through the feedback system or other
- Ad-hoc support
- The ‘Backlog’ project may require basic data analysis, entry and modification in both Excel and Unidata, in support of the Logistical Data Steward, to improve the quality of master-data in UniData or to support statistical indicators and reporting.
- The continuous improvements in and around UniData may require testing of new features, interfaces and changes in the UniData system and its governance.
V- OBJECTIVES AGREED FOR THE NEXT PERIOD –> until the end of the year 2018
- Perform the above-mentioned activities
- Flexibility to deal with possible changes in above-mentioned tasks
VI- PROFILE REQUIREMENTS
The successful candidate will have and be:
- field experience in a logistic position
- a fast learner, quickly adapting: in order to work in a changing environment with changing interfaces
- customer-oriented, resilient, good people skills: to deal with (re-)explaining rules, guidelines and governance to demanding stakeholders
- able to prioritise or multi-task (good time-planning): according to the current situation
- concentrated, with an eye for detail: for data entry/modification in active master data system
- fluent in English and if possible in French
- computer skills are essential
Starting date: 2nd January 2018
Contract: 80%, with probation period of 6 months
Location: MSF international office, Amsterdam
Deadline for applications: 16th December 2017
Please submit all applications only by email to:
IOfirstname.lastname@example.org stating “ITC Logistics Assistant” in the subject
Please submit only ONE file containing your CV and cover letter and name the file with your last name only.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.