ITC – Internal Communication Officer
Position: International Technical Coordination (ITC) – Internal Communication Officer
Location: Brussels strongly preferred. Other MSF hub locations considered in European time zone
Contract: 10 months
Working time: 25%
Starting date: March 2018
Reporting to: ITC Coordinator
I - MSF INTERNATIONAL
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international, independent, medical humanitarian organisation that delivers emergency aid to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, healthcare exclusion and natural disasters. MSF offers assistance to people based only on need and irrespective of race, religion, gender or political affiliation.
MSF International is the legal entity that binds MSF’s 21 sections, 24 associations and other offices together. Based in Geneva, MSF International provides coordination, information and support to the MSF Movement, as well as implements international projects and initiatives as requested. MSF International also provides administrative support to the MSF Access Campaign.
II - POSITION BACKGROUND
The International Technical Coordination (ITC) was created to maintain consistency in the choice of medical and non-medical articles between MSF sections in order to improve MSF interventions, while taking into account field realities. Proposed and developed by the logistics and medical departments, ITC was officially recognised at International level in 1994 and integrated into MSF International in 2006.
ITC core role is coordinating the expression of the demand of articles (medical and non-medical) and ensure it is properly translated for supply whose role is to fulfil that demand. The role of ITC is to coordinate decision making, to inform and advise decisional bodies but it is not responsible for taking decisions.
In 2016, UniData has been implemented, which is the unique central article database of MSF that contains all the codes created in MSF avoiding duplication, improving the articles description. Therefore, it provides visibility on the expression of the demand and helps streamlining supply chain processes. UniData details all items available for the field and shares article changes with the Movement. It contains all standard and non-standard articles with their descriptions. UniData shares this article information with all relevant MSF Staff and systems including to the field.
This development has extended the scope of ITC work and its impact in the movement, by linking UniData with ESCs, exchanging information with the medical, logistic and supply director platforms, by delivering information to the field via specific tools such as Unifield, etc. Therefore the role of ITC is impacting the whole movement and its operations.
III - PLACE IN THE ORGANISATION
The ITC Internal Communication Officer will report to the ITC Coordinator and will be part of the ITC team based in Brussels.
IV - OBJECTIVES OF THE POSITION
As part of the ITC team, the Internal Communication Officer will have the responsibility to improve and define the ITC communication strategy. S/he will also deliver the components of that communication to the different stakeholders of ITC. The objective is to provide clear communication on the activities deployed by ITC and the benefits it provides to the MSF Movement.
ITC / Unidata is benefiting the following actors:
- The MSF field is obtaining clearer specifications on the articles in real time therefore preventing mistakes
- The Operational Centers are able to provide clearer specifications on the articles being used in the field in real time
- The European Supply Centers (ESCs), are improving their efficiency through the clarification and noticeable rationalization of the assortment of articles.
- ITC through an easier and flexible tool that enables collaboration for the specifications of the articles and the way they are presented to field, OCs and ESCs
- The coordination bodies or decision making bodies such as International Medical Directors, International Logistics Directors, and Executive Supply Chain Secretary
V - MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES
The Communication Officer will be in charge of the following tasks:
- Collect and organize all relevant documents created and/or being influential for ITC including the communication package defined by the UniData project
- Conduct interviews to measure the gap between the existing communication and the perception with the key stakeholders
- Review current communication, define and refine the overall ITC communication strategy for the mentioned actors
- Write the content of the communication with the ITC team and in collaboration with key actors (interviews, communication material) to highlight the key benefits of ITC and how it fits with other initiatives (Medical, Logistics, UniField and Supply Strategy)
- Propose on a regular basis key communications concerning UniData and its improvements
- Disseminate and deliver the communication to the actors
- Ensure that regular updates are given to the key actors
VI - PROFILE
- Genuine interest in and commitment to the humanitarian principles and challenges of MSF
- University degree in Communication or Marketing or Business Administration
- A minimum of 2 years’ experience in Marketing or Communication
- Knowledge of and/or previous experience with MSF internal communication or another international non-profit organisation
- Fluent written and spoken English, good knowledge of French
- Excellent writing skills
- Highly organised and reliable
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy
- Self-motivated and enthusiastic
- Strong analytical skills
- Creativity and ability to master a wide toolkit in internal communication
- Excellent time management with the ability to deliver against tight deadlines
- Proficiency in Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- General knowledge of supply chain and IT systems is an advantage
- Field experience in the humanitarian world
Deadline for applications: 8 February 2018
Please submit all applications only by email to:
IOfirstname.lastname@example.org stating “ITC Internal Communication Officer” in the title.
Please submit your CV and cover letter in
ONE file and name the file with your LAST NAME.
-Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.-