International Publications Manager
I. MSF INTERNATIONAL
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international, independent, medical humanitarian organisation that delivers emergency aid to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, healthcare exclusion and natural disasters. MSF offers assistance to people based only on need and irrespective of race, religion, gender or political affiliation.
MSF International is the legal entity that binds MSF’s 19 sections, 23 associations and other offices together. Based in Geneva, MSF International provides coordination, information and support to the MSF movement, and implements international projects and initiatives as requested. MSF International also provides administrative support to the MSF Access Campaign.
II. POSITION BACKGROUND
The International Publications Manager is responsible for the production of MSF’s annual International Activity Report. In addition, s/he contributes to all communication coming from the International Office ensuring editorial quality standards, relevance, and accuracy.
III. PLACE IN THE ORGANISATION
The International Publications Manager (IPM) reports to the International Communication Coordinator. He/she is part of the International Office communications team and is based in Geneva, Switzerland.
He/she works closely with the International President, and members of the International Office management team.
He/she will have regular contact and collaboration with communication staff in MSF sections.
IV. OBJECTIVES OF THE POSITION
The IPM oversees production of MSF International print publications, coordinates the writing of texts for MSF International, supports senior International Office (IO) staff in preparation of articles and presentations, and promotes the correct use of MSF’s brand and logo throughout the movement. The IPM may also be asked to support online publishing.
V. MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Editorial management
- Set up and lead an editorial board for MSF International
- Through this board, increase the quality of writing and editing for MSF International publications
- Coordinate movement-wide fora (editors, translators) with a view of stimulating both efficiency and quality in the production of MSF publications
2. International Activity Report and other publications
- Plan and execute the production of MSF’s International Activity Report (IAR)
- Manage the Budget relating to the IAR
- Propose topics for inclusion in the IAR and assign writers to them
- Safeguard the IAR’s accuracy, readability and relevance
- Plan, budget, produce, edit and proof any other print publications issued by the International Office
3. Standard texts for use throughout the MSF movement
- Produce texts that introduce MSF, as well as (medical) topics, that can be used by both field missions and MSF offices.
- Guarantee regular updating of these texts
4. Editorial support for senior International Office staff
- Write or proof texts (articles, public speeches) on behalf of the International President of MSF
- Support senior staff in the International Office by editing and proofing texts for external audiences
5. Brand management
- Issue and review guidelines for the use of the MSF logo and branding in general
- Advise MSF office and missions on logo and branding issues, with the aim of safeguarding consistency and minimizing the risk of confusion
- Signal inconsistencies in the MSF branding and propose corrective measures when appropriate
6. Internal communication
- Produce a weekly internal bulletin for all communication staff in MSF worldwide
- Support senior International Office staff in the production of high-quality internal information products
VI. PROFILE REQUIREMENTS
Qualifications and work experience
- Graduate with relevant degree. Masters highly preferred
- Minimum of five years editing and proofing experience
- Professional experience in managing complex publications
- Experience with MSF or other NGO is a significant asset
- Genuine interest in, understanding of, and commitment to the humanitarian principles and challenges of MSF
- Strong knowledge of dual print/online publications
- Basic experience with social media and content management systems
- Adobe Creative Suite -- basic layout and design of short briefing documents, as well as production of simple graphics for social media and websites
- Able to work in a multi-cultural environment; ability to recognise, respect, learn from and integrate cultural differences
- Passionate about language
- Native English-speaking or functions at this level
- Reads French easily (other languages are an asset)
- Outstanding organisational skills with the ability to handle large volumes of work, track multiple projects or activities at any one time
- Self-driven with the ability to take initiative
- Able to work successfully under pressure within short deadlines; maintaining appropriate priorities, quality, flexibility, and positivity
- Strong team player with the ability and interpersonal skills to interact at all levels of MSF
Starting date: February 2014
Contract: 80% - long term with a minimum commitment of 3 years
Deadline for applications: 11 December 2013
Please submit all applications only by email to: IOfirstname.lastname@example.org stating “International Publications Manager” in the title
Please submit only one file containing your CV and cover letter and name the file with your last name only
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted
Initial interviews will take place during the week commencing December 16 2013