International Online Communications Officer
I. MSF INTERNATIONAL
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international, independent, medical humanitarian organisation that delivers emergency aid to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, healthcare exclusion and natural disasters. MSF offers assistance to people based only on need and irrespective of race, religion, gender or political affiliation.
MSF International is the legal entity that binds MSF’s 19 sections, 23 associations and other offices together. Based in Geneva, MSF International provides coordination, information and support to the MSF movement, and implements international projects and initiatives as requested. MSF International also provides administrative support to the MSF Access Campaign.
II. POSITION BACKGROUND
The international website of Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) is one of the leading reference sites in the humanitarian community. Thousands of visitors spend time on the site daily, to be informed about MSF, about the medical humanitarian activities of the organization in over sixty countries, and about how they themselves can get involved.
The site, at www.msf.org, is the cornerstone in MSF’s overall online representation and communication and a key element in the organisation’s overall communication strategies. For the further development of the site and of MSF’s online communication in general, the International Office of Medecins Sans Frontieres is hiring an International Web Master.
III. PLACE IN THE ORGANISATION
The International Online Communications Officer reports to the International Communication Coordinator. He/she is part of the communications team of the International Office and will be based in Geneva.
He/she works closely with colleagues throughout MSF’s communication network, and specifically with webmasters in MSF’s Access Campaign, International Association, and national sections.
IV. OBJECTIVES OF THE POSITION
To develop and manage MSF’s international website, make sure relevant content is published in a timely manner, and contribute to coherence and effectiveness in MSF’s overall online communication.
V. MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Development of the International Website
- Take charge of architecture and technological functionality of www.msf.org
- Report bugs and get them fixed immediately
- Track user statistics to the site in general and to specific subsections
- Propose and carry out user surveys when useful and appropriate
- Optimally integrate the site with other MSF web platforms as well as social media
2. Publication on the International Website
- Publish and maintain reference materials on MSF and its work
- Flag materials that are missing
- Guarantee publication of MSF positioning (such as press releases and reports) immediately after they become available
- Publish MSF activity updates in case of new emergencies
- Publish analytical articles by MSF staff on issues of concern
- Publish materials that support the positioning, activity updates and analytical articles, including photography and video
- Publish and maintain information on how visitors can be involved with MSF as future field workers, donors, or otherwise
3. As part of a team (Super Admin Group), contribute to administering and supporting the international CMS platform
- Facilitate day-to-day maintenance of the Drupal multisite platform
- Coordinate periodic platform updates and support sites migrating to the platform
- Monitor and work with vendors to optimise platform performance
- Manage support requests from sites on the platform
- Perform analysis of new functionalities and feature requests for inclusion onto the platform
- Maintain Google Analytics account for the platform
4. Co-manage the MSF International Twitter account
- With the Web and Social Media Officer, implement social media strategy and ensure its effectiveness
- Oversee day-to-day posting on the international Twitter account (@msf)
- Manage conversations in relation with this Twitter account
5. Other tasks
- Contribute to the production of weekly operational communication updates for the MSF communication network, under supervision of the International Operational Communication Manager
- Contribute to the management of MSF communication internal mail lists
- Perform any other tasks as delegated by the supervisor
- Genuine interest in, understanding of, and commitment to; the humanitarian principles, social mission, operations, and challenges of MSF.
- Experience in successfully managing websites in an international environment
- Good technical knowledge of the Drupal content management system
- Working knowledge of HTML and CSS
- Demonstrated grasp on the role of social media in communication
- Outstanding organisational skills with the ability to handle large volumes of work, track multiple projects and support multiple groups or activities at any one time
- Native English-speaking or functions on that level
- Sound editorial judgement
- A spirit of initiative as well as the ability to work successfully in a team
- Ability to write engaging tweets on often complex matters
- Diplomacy and flexibility
- Knowledge of and/or previous experience with MSF or another international non-profit organisation
- Fluency in French
- PHP programming skills
Location: Geneva, Switzerland
Contract: Permanent position - 100%
Starting date: June 2014
Deadline for applications: 29 April 2014
Please submit all applications only by email to IOemail@example.com stating “International Online Communications Officer” in the title.
Please submit only one file containing your CV and cover letter and name the file with your last name only
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted