Interim International Publications Manager, Geneva
Contract: Temporary 6 months Full time position
Reporting to: International Communication Project Manager
Deadline for applications: 15 March 2016
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international, independent, medical humanitarian organisation that delivers emergency aid to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, healthcare exclusion and natural disasters. MSF offers assistance to people based only on need and irrespective of religion, gender or political affiliation.
MSF International is the legal entity that binds MSF’s 21 sections, 24 associations and other offices together. Based in Geneva, MSF International provides coordination, information and support to the MSF movement, and implements international projects and initiatives as requested. MSF International also provides administrative support to the MSF Access Campaign.
We are currently searching for an ‘interim International Publications Manager’ as the current one will be taking another position for 6 months. The International Publications Manager is responsible for the production of MSF’s annual International Activity Report. In addition, s/he contributes to all communication coming from the International Office ensuring editorial quality standards, relevance, and accuracy.
PLACE IN THE ORGANISATION
The International Publications Manager ad interim (IPM) reports to the International Communication Project Manager. He/she is part of the International Office communications team and is based in Geneva, Switzerland.
He/she works closely with the International President, and members of the International Office management team.
He/she will have regular contact and collaboration with communication staff in MSF sections.
OBJECTIVES OF THE POSITION
The IPM oversees production of MSF International print publications, coordinates the writing of texts for MSF International and supports senior International Office (IO) staff in preparation of articles. The IPM will also be asked to support online publishing and together with the rest of the communications team participates in an on call rota to cover for MSF emergency communications needs.
International Activity Report and other publications
- Project manage the production of the International Activity Report in English and French
- Manage external suppliers, and liaise with the staff in MSF producing and validating content
- Copyedit and proofread, as required
- Write content, as required
- Work with the International Digital Communications Officer on the online version of the report
- Manage the budget relating to the IAR
- Safeguard the IAR’s accuracy, readability and relevance
- Project manage the production of the International Financial Report
- Proof texts on behalf of the International President and Secretary General of MSF
- Support senior staff in the International Office by editing and proofing texts
- Edit the international style guide (annually, following the launch of the International Activity Report)
- Support for MSF online publications
- Participates in an on call rota with the rest of team members to help cover MSF communications emergencies during the weekend (about once every six weeks)
- Produce the weekly Comms Week Ahead, an internal bulletin for all communication staff in MSF worldwide that informs them about upcoming communications packages
- Maintain communications mailing lists
- Maintain communications index
Qualifications and work experience
- Graduate with relevant degree
- Minimum of five years editing and proofing experience
- Professional experience in managing complex publications
- Experience with MSF or other NGO is a significant asset
- Outstanding organisational skills with the ability to handle large volumes of work, track multiple projects or activities at any one time
- Genuine interest in, understanding of, and commitment to the humanitarian principles and challenges of MSF
- Knowledge of dual print/online publications beneficial
- Able to work in a multi-cultural environment; ability to recognise, respect, learn from and integrate cultural differences
- Able to free up one weekend about every six weeks to participate on an on call rota in case of emergency communications
- Proofreading and copyediting skills
- Native English-speaking or functions at this level
- Self-driven with the ability to take initiative
- Strong team player with the ability and interpersonal skills to interact at all levels of MSF
Starting date: Immediate start
Deadline for applications: 15 March 2016
Contract: 100% Temporary Contract
Candidates must already have the right to work in Switzerland or hold a European passport.
Please submit all applications only by email to: IOfirstname.lastname@example.org stating “Interim International Publications Manager” in the title.
Please submit only ONE file containing your CV and motivation letter and name the file with your LAST NAME.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.