Humanitarian Affairs Intern
Title: Humanitarian Affairs Intern
Duration: 6 months
Deadline for application: 9 April 2018
Reporting to: Deputy Head of the Humanitarian Representation Team, with support lines to the International Operations and Humanitarian Representation Coordinator and the Operations and Humanitarian Representation Assistant
I- MSF INTERNATIONAL
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international, independent, medical humanitarian organisation that delivers emergency aid to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, healthcare exclusion and natural disasters. MSF offers assistance to people based only on need and irrespective of race, religion, gender or political affiliation.
MSF International is the legal entity that binds MSF’s 21 sections, 24 associations and other offices together. Based in Geneva, MSF International provides coordination, information and support to the MSF Movement, as well as implements international projects and initiatives as requested. MSF International also provides administrative support to the MSF Access Campaign.
II- POSITION BACKGROUND
The Humanitarian Representation Team (HRT) provides support to the MSF operations through linkages and actions to and from external networks (political, humanitarian, medical, and civil society). It is managed by the International Operations and Humanitarian Representation Coordinator (IOHRC). The HRT maintains active relations with its network and continually informs the MSF operations of the relevant analysed information. The HRT influences its network through specific actions for the benefit of the MSF programs and MSF operations’ goals. In carrying out its actions, the HRT responds to direct requests from the operational program managers (desks). Longer term positioning and actions are also co-ordinated within the HRT team and again are directed by the MSF operations at the HQ level.
The HRT maintains active and effective internal links to co-ordinate its work. These include the reflection and advocacy centres of the operational sections, the Access campaign and partner sections (regarding their relations with their own host governments and regional networks – e.g. South Africa, Germany, China, Australia, etc.), International President, Secretary General, International Medical Secretary & Medical Coordinator, medical working groups and others as necessary. The HRT interacts with the field missions of MSF (Head of Mission-level) in order to improve the overall quality of the support to operations.
III- PLACE IN THE ORGANISATION
The Humanitarian Affairs Assistant will be hierarchically and functionally accountable to the Deputy Head of the Humanitarian Representation Team (Geneva, MSF International).
IV- OBJECTIVES OF THE POSITION
The Humanitarian Affairs Intern supports the Deputy Head of the Humanitarian Representation Team in conducting all aspects of humanitarian representation and operational support for Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) from the International Office of MSF based in Geneva, Switzerland.
V- MAIN RESPONSABILITIES
- At the request of the Deputy Head of the Humanitarian Representation Team, provide an understanding and analysis on key Geneva-based stakeholders activities, strategies and positioning on topics of relevance for MSF:
- Research, monitor and analyse the positioning of external stakeholders;
- Attend and provide written feedback on specific meetings or debates/ international conferences on topics of relevance for MSF operations;
- Provide support to the Deputy Head of the Humanitarian Representation Team and the International Operations and Humanitarian Representation Coordinator by facilitating meetings, preparing relevant documentation and ensuring the reporting of meetings;
- Upon request of the Deputy Head of the Humanitarian Representation Team, facilitate access to relevant actors in Geneva for MSF representatives;
- Facilitate intersectional dialogue by sharing and circulating relevant information, providing logistic support to HRT Secretariat and Network meetings and helping with reporting;
- Management and update of the internal and external contacts database;
- Ensure optimal documentation management by updating the online database/library on SharePoint;
- Draft minutes for HRT Geneva meetings and ensure the proper archiving and dissemination to key stakeholders;
- Draft and ensure the follow-up of meeting requests with key stakeholders in the calendar;
- Ensure effective planning and preparation of internal meetings: room or location bookings, IT, videoconferencing/teleconferencing details, food, transportation and accommodation issues, welcome of external participants;
- Additional support as requested by the Deputy Head of the Humanitarian Representation Team and the International Operations and Humanitarian Representation Coordinator.
VI- PROFILE REQUIREMENTS
- Minimum 2 years directly relevant work experience; knowledge of the international aid sector preferred;
- Ability to synthesize complex and sensitive material, record information accurately and appropriately in the form of minutes, write complex correspondence and internal memos;
- Strong computer literacy; knowledge of Office 365 (Outlook, Word, Excel); proficiency in using the internet for research purposes;
- Outstanding proven time management and organizational skills;
- Keen attention to details with ability to track multiple projects at one time;
- Ability to prioritize ongoing versus immediate needs appropriately;
- Excellent communications skills including fluent written and spoken English;
- Excellent judgment, diplomacy, flexibility and patience;
- Genuine commitment to MSF's humanitarian principles.
In order to qualify for an internship position, the applicants should be prepared to provide documentary evidence that they are in one of the following situations:
- Currently enrolled in a certifying training in Switzerland;
- Between certifying trainings (eg. Bachelor and Master) with the condition that the utility of the internship is certified by the training institution organizing the second training.
- Under a federal program of insertion.
A trilateral internship convention is compulsory.
Please also see https://www.ge.ch/engager-personne-stage