Head of Resources
Contract: Permanent position - 100%
Starting date: November 2015
Application deadline: 9 September 2015
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international, independent, medical humanitarian organisation that delivers emergency aid to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, healthcare exclusion and natural disasters. MSF offers assistance to people based only on need and irrespective of race, religion, gender or political affiliation.
MSF International is the legal entity that binds MSF’s 21 sections, 24 associations and other offices together. Based in Geneva, MSF International provides coordination, information and support to the MSF movement, and implements international projects and initiatives as requested. MSF International also provides administrative support to the MSF Access Campaign.
MSF International and the Access Campaign Human Resources, Finance and Administration functions are covered by a team managed by the Head of Resources (HoR) and comprised of a Financial Controller (FC), a Human Resources Officer (HRO) and an Accountant, all based in Geneva.
The HoR is responsible for the Finance and Human Resources functions reporting to the Secretary General of MSF International and the Executive Director of the Access Campaign. The HoR will liaise with the other MSF offices on finance, HR and administration relating to MSF International staff and projects that may be housed and administratively supported by other offices or field projects. The HoR will ensure appropriate support to the management and staff of MSF International and the Access Campaign on all financial and human resources management and administrative matters.
PLACE IN THE ORGANISATION
The Head of Resources reports to the Secretary General of MSF International and to the Executive Director of the Access Campaign.
The HoR is in contact with the Finance and HR Directors of the 21 sections, other MSF offices and the Drugs for Neglected Diseases initiative. She/He will also be in contact with external auditors and the International Treasurer for the MSF International statutory accounts.
The HoR manages a Financial Controller (FC), a Human Resources Officer (HR Officer) and an Accountant.
OBJECTIVES OF THE POSITION
The Head of Resources ensures Finance, Human Resources and day-to-day administrative organisation of MSF International (the International Office and the Access Campaign) enables MSF International (the International Office & Access Campaign) to achieve its objectives by:
- Liaising with the Secretary General (SG) and Executive Director (ED) of the Access Campaign in the oversight of all MSF International Human Resources, administrative and Finance matters.
- Mitigating the financial and resource risk of the IO and AC
- Maximising the use of the available resources
- Overseeing projects as delegated by the SG and ED
- Supporting the development and review of the multi-year strategic plan with a special focus on ensuring a proper correlation between individual plans are resources
- Direct support to the Secretary General in the internal management of MSF International with a special focus on coaching and staff development
Manage the budget process and enable effective resource allocation decisions
- Develop the annual budget, with the Secretary General of MSF International, the Executive Director of the Access Campaign and the two respective management teams.
- Ensure budget tracking and revisions, by setting up regular (preferably quarterly) follow-up and provide appropriate feedback to the management team.
- With the management team, identify any significant discrepancies between the budget and actual expenses and pro-actively suggest any necessary corrective action.
Human Resource Management
- Advise senior management on organisational set up and opportunities for development
- Support line managers in connection with any staff disputes/complaints or disciplinary matters to ensure fair and appropriate actions
- Conduct annual review meetings with each MT member to plan and understand future needs and review staff development plans
- Approve salary quotations and any changes in terms and conditions
- Play an advisory role towards staff and managers on HR related matters.
- Assist line managers in recruitment interviews as needed
Internal Management of MSF International Geneva Office
- Be the focal person for MSF Switzerland on all issues relating to the hosting policy
- Ensure all staff are aware of and compliant with the internal rules
- Support the SG in all issues relating to internal management of the Geneva office
- Ensure the office environment and staff relations are conducive to achieving objectives
Human Resource Administration
- Maintain Inter sectional agreements on hosting policies
- Ensure the application of hosting sections’ HR administration polices (absence, unpaid leave, seniority, exit, etc)
- Review and approve payroll for the Geneva based staff and elected IB members
- Review and approve monthly HR reporting and indicators
Financial policies and internal controls
- Develop, implement, review and strengthen financial policies on internal controls and operating procedures
- Ensure that records to meet external and legal requirements are properly maintained
- Proactively liaise with other MSF offices to ensure, when possible, compliance and harmonisation with best practices.
- Review and authorise electronic and manual payments
- Liaise with the banks
- Monitor capital investments - existence and valuation
Manage inter-office transactions and relations with all MSF offices
- Liaise with MSF sections on their international contributions.
- Oversee the inter-office re-invoicing related to the staff of MSF International and the Access Campaign based in other locations (salaries, office costs etc.).
Statutory Accounts of MSF International
- Manage accounting and financial processes to ensure the timely maintenance of complete and accurate accounting records.
- Ensure the accurate and timely annual closure of the accounts and production of the Statutory Accounts
- Supervise the annual audit and reporting for MSF International into the MSF Combined Accounts
- Liaise with MSF hosting sections relating to office space and infrastructure services (IT, HR, etc) for MSF International staff.
- Manage relations with the travel booking units in Geneva and other offices as necessary and set up validation processes and approvals of travel bookings for external consultants and providers working for MSF International and/or the Access Campaign.
- Undertake other ad hoc tasks as required by the Secretary General of MSF International and/or the Executive Director of the Access Campaign.
- Participate in relevant MSF International and International meetings.
- Genuine interest in and commitment to the humanitarian principles and challenges of MSF
- Qualified finance professional (ACCA, CIMA, ACA, CPA), or equivalent including relevant post qualification experience.
- Strong team player with the ability and interpersonal and communication skills to succeed in a geographically dispersed team and interact at all levels within MSF
- Excellent organisational skills and ability to meet deadlines
- Strong staff management skills including the ability to handle, and assist in the resolution of, conflicts
- Proficiency in financial accounting and reporting, including external statutory reporting and audit.
- Budgeting, forecasting and reporting experience
- Proven ability to design, implement, and monitor processes and controls
- Ability to handle confidential information
- Strong computer literacy, including an excellent knowledge of Excel, and working knowledge of ERPs and accounting software
- Self-driven, positive, flexible and resilient with a hands-on approach
- Excellent written and oral English
- Knowledge of and/or previous experience with MSF or another international non-profit organisation
- Recognised HR qualifications
- Knowledge of the Swiss Gaap, social security system and employment law
- Good written and oral French
Deadline for applications: 9 September 2015
Please submit all applications only by email to: IOfirstname.lastname@example.org stating “Head of Resources” in the title.
Please submit only ONE FILE containing your CV and cover letter and name the file with your last name only.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.