Executive Assistant - International Office
Duration: Long-term contract, Full-time position
Reporting to: Executive Coordinator
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international, independent, medical humanitarian organisation that delivers emergency aid to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, healthcare exclusion and natural disasters. MSF offers assistance to people based only on need and irrespective of race, religion, gender or political affiliation.
MSF International is the legal entity that binds MSF’s 19 sections, 24 associations and other offices together. Based in Geneva, MSF International provides coordination, information and support to the MSF Movement, as well as implements international projects and initiatives as requested. MSF International also provides administrative support to the MSF Access Campaign.
The position of Executive Assistant has been created to support the Executive Coordinator in assisting the Executive and Associative Management of MSF International.
PLACE IN THE ORGANISATION
The Executive Assistant:
- Reports hierarchically to the Executive Coordinator;
- Reports functionally to the Executive Coordinator, Secretary General and International President
- Interacts with the International Board Members, the International Office team, the MSF Movement, interlocutors outside MSF and any other contacts considered necessary by the Executive Coordinator.
OBJECTIVES OF THE POSITION
The Executive Assistant will provide administrative support to the Secretary General and International President and on an ad hoc basis, if time allows, to the elected and co-opted International Board members. The Executive Assistant will play a key role working with the Executive Coordinator in the organization of certain international meetings, be responsible for ensuring efficient logistical organization of the meetings and the production of accurate minutes. The Executive Assistant will also be the focal point for maintaining legal documentation; and will provide other support to the International Office, as required, and as delegated by the Executive Coordinator.
1. Support to senior management (40%)
For the Secretary General and the International President, (and if time allows the IGA-elected and co-opted International Board Members) the Executive Assistant will:
- Manage and arrange diary, travel / field missions and visa, meeting requests and set up, correspondence and phone communication;
- Coordinate media requests /interviews;
- Manage signatures of documents;
- Compile expense claims;
- Draft documents (letters, updates), put together presentations, perform editing and formatting;
- Perform other administrative tasks as required (document printing, scanning, etc.);
2. International and internal meetings (ExCom, IB, IO MT) (25%)
The Executive Assistant will:
- Be responsible for managing the logistics of the international meetings (meeting room booking and preparation, catering, technical settings, document printing, other general assistance), and for coordinating with the other assistants in the Movement for the logistical organization;
- Write minutes for specific international meetings, contribute to the production of minutes for other international meetings as delegated by the Executive Coordinator, including thorough audio recordings;
- Be responsible for managing the preparation, logistics and minute taking for IO MT meetings;
- Assist in preparing, formatting, editing and circulating background documentations and agendas;
- Post international meetings related information as necessary on the Intranet and the associative website;
- Prepare draft international meeting calendars;
- Assist in organizing other major international or internal meetings/gatherings/events when required.
3. Legal support (5%)
The Executive Assistant will be responsible to:
- Maintain up to date the MSF International registry at the Geneva Registry of Commerce;
- Liaise with the Paris legal team whenever required to follow up and support from Geneva, trademark duties, fraud, contract signatures, other documents as needed;
- Maintain proper archiving of legal documents in Geneva.
4. Other / IO support (30%)
The Executive Assistant will be required to:
- Maintain email lists (IO MT, IO GVA, IO ALL, ExCom, IB); maintain and disseminate the MSF International contact list;
- Collect, open, date stamp and distribute carefully incoming post
- Respond to incoming phone calls and transmit messages;
- Assist with outgoing mail;
- Welcome and guide external visitors, if required;
- Take care of business card orders and of the catering stock for meetings;
- Report and follow up on any necessary office maintenance;
- Provide basic IT support in the IO and during international meetings (PC, printer, telephone…)
- Maintain and organise up-to-date archiving (hard copy, electronic, Tukul)
- Address enquiries from the public, media, other organisations, etc.
- Develop and maintain a contact database
- Provide ad-hoc support to international activities and projects if necessary Undertake other duties as requested by the Executive Coordinator.
- Genuine interest in, understanding of and commitment to the humanitarian principles, social mission, operations, and challenges of MSF;
- Outstanding organisation skills; ability to complete multiple tasks within short deadlines, while maintaining correct priorities and quality;
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment; possessing maturity, patience and understanding;
- Tact, diplomacy, and tenacity as well as the ability to build and maintain a strong network within MSF to enable information gathering and smooth logistical support
- Self-motivated and committed, problem-solving, with ability to work effectively in a team;
- Ability to synthesise information and produce professional minutes and meeting outcomes;
- Fluent written and spoken English and French, (other languages an asset);
- Previous work with senior management desirable;
- Office management experience;
- MSF or other NGO experience an advantage;
- Bachelor/postgraduate degree desirable;
- This position may require occasional short trips to other MSF offices within Europe and the flexibility to work outside normal business hours and occasionally on weekends.
Starting date: mid March 2015
Contract: Long term contract 100%
Deadline for applications: 18 January 2015
Please submit all applications only by email to: IOfirstname.lastname@example.org stating “Exec Assistant IO” in the title.
Please submit your CV and cover letter in ONE file and name the file with your LAST NAME.
-Only short-listed candidates will be contacted-