Location: Geneva, MSF International Office
Contract: Permanent, full-time
Start date: 20 February 2018
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international, independent, medical humanitarian organisation that delivers emergency aid to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, healthcare exclusion and natural disasters. MSF offers assistance to people based only on need and irrespective of race, religion, gender or political affiliation.
MSF International is the legal entity that binds MSF’s 21 sections, 24 associations and other offices together. Based in Geneva, MSF International provides coordination, information and support to the MSF Movement, as well as implements international projects and initiatives as requested.
II - POSITION WITHIN ORGANISATION
The Editor will work closely with the Digital Officer and the Online and Arabic Content Editor (for msf.org in Arabic) and will report to the International Content and Publications Manager. He/she is part of the International Office communications team and is based in Geneva, Switzerland.
He/she will have regular contact and collaboration with communication staff in MSF sections.
III - OBJECTIVE OF THE POSITION
This position will lead the production of MSF’s annual International Activity Report, provide daily editing capacity to MSF International office’s online communications on msf.org in English, and provide editorial support to the MSF movement.
IV- MAIN RESPONSABILITIES
1. International Activity Report (IAR) and other publications
· Leads the planning and execution of MSF’s International Activity Report – this task can take up to 6 months out of the year and during which time extra support will be available to take over some tasks, such as editing and publishing on msf.org (see point 2).
● Safeguard the IAR’s accuracy, readability and relevance
● Liaise with the IO Communication digital team for the production and launch of the online version of the IAR.
● Edit and proof any other print publications issued by the International Office
2. MSF.org in English
● Edit and proofread content received from the wider organisation to prepare it for publication on msf.org
● Curate content and publish articles on msf.org using our CMS system
● Work with the Content and Publications Manager to ensure msf.org pages remain current and follow the editorial line of the website
● Support the writing and editing content for inclusion on msf.org as needed
● Support/encourage communications staff across the movement to provide web friendly and mobile first written content
3. Editorial support
● Support the Movement by editing and proofing texts for internal and external audiences. This happens notably via the MSF internal group of editors.
4. Communications Index
· Ensure the index of communications content received is up to date
5. Other tasks
● Compile a weekly internal bulletin on communications priorities for all communication staff in MSF worldwide
● Be part of evening/weekend on-call rota for publishing to website and social media
● Take on projects or dossiers delegated by the International Content and Publications Manager.
V - SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
Qualifications and work experience
● Graduate with relevant degree
● Minimum of three years editing and proofing experience
● Experience working with content management systems
● Experience with MSF or other NGO is a significant asset
● Demonstrated experience working on complex publications
● Genuine interest in and commitment to the humanitarian principles of MSF
● Native English-speaking or functions at this level
● Demonstrable interest in digital and media work
● Excellent written and editing skills
● Good eye for design
● Passionate about language
● Outstanding organisational skills with the ability to handle large volumes of work, track multiple projects or activities at any one time
● Self-driven with the ability to take initiative
● Experience in SEO/web writing an asset
● Working knowledge of French or Arabic, an asset.
Starting date: 20 February 2018
Contract: Full time position, permanent contract
Location: Geneva, Switzerland
Deadline for applications: 7 January 2018
Candidates must already have the right to work in Switzerland or hold a European passport.
Please submit all applications only by email to:
IOemail@example.com stating “Editor” in the title.
Please submit only one file containing your CV and cover letter and name the file with your family name.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.