Digital Communications Officer
Contract: Permanent at 100%
Starting date: July 2017
I - BACKGROUND
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international, independent, medical humanitarian organisation that delivers emergency aid to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, healthcare exclusion and natural disasters. MSF offers assistance to people based only on need and irrespective of race, religion, gender or political affiliation.
MSF International is the legal entity that binds MSF’s 21 sections, 24 associations and other offices together. Based in Geneva, MSF International provides coordination, information and support to the MSF Movement, as well as implements international projects and initiatives as requested.
II - POSITION WITHIN ORGANISATION
The Digital Communications Officer will report to the International Digital Communication Manager.
III - OBJECTIVE OF THE POSITION
The role will provide daily support to MSF International office’s online communications. The candidate will help with a range of tasks, from community management to online campaigning.
There will also be the requirement – and the opportunity – to help the wider communications department. The successful candidate will gain experience in all aspects of NGO communication work.
IV – ACTIVITIES
The main duties will be:
Social media management
- Plan and implement MSF International’s social media strategy (for Facebook, Twitter, MSF international website: www.msf.org);
- Daily drive MSF’s presence on social media networks by posting on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc. and monitor accordingly;
- Propose and test new social media features to increase MSF’s digital presence;
- Support, train and engage MSF communications staff in using MSF’s internal social sharing platform called Tibbr;
- Partner with MSF social media communication staff around the world to share and/or develop strategies, processes, and crisis management best practices;
- Act as an advisor/support on social media for field operations, and elaborate guidelines for use of social media in the field;
- Edit images, graphics, downloadable content, and links to adapt our content for social media.
Reporting, Monitoring and Trends
- Report on MSF activities producing weekly and monthly reports;
- Monitor daily, and run ad-hoc, analysis of the digital statistics, and produce reports relating to outcomes, according to various priority topics and emergencies;
- Operates Google Analytic account and develop the corresponding strategy for MSF international website: www.msf.org;
- Proactively monitor trends in tools, applications, channels, design, and strategy across the markets for potential application within MSF.
Dissemination and campaigns
- Provide strategic insights to shape digital campaigns and activities (short and long term);
- Implement dissemination strategy of www.msf.org or material coming from the rest of the MSF communications network;
- Identify and share best practices in campaigning techniques, engagement process and growing audiences across digital channels;
- Develop and implement search engine advertisement strategies (SEO and SEM)
- Be part of the evening/weekend on-call rota for publishing to website and social media;
- Proofread and publish articles using our CMS system and act as the Online Editor’s backup;
- Train, guide and support colleagues to manage social media and digital techniques.
- Undertake any other tasks as delegated by the International Communications Digital Manager.
V - SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Genuine interest in, and commitment to, the humanitarian principles of MSF
- Native English-speaker or functions at this level
- Demonstrable interest in digital and media work
- Strong written and editing skills
- Computer literacy – experience using MS Office, Photoshop & Illustrator
- Familiarity with content management systems and HTML coding
- Solid knowledge of SEO/SEM (AdWords certifications is a plus)
- Have a good eye for design
- Have plenty of ideas, motivation and inspiration
- Outstanding organisational skills with the ability to handle large volumes of work, track multiple projects or activities at any one time
- Flexible team member ready to adapt to the needs of the team
- Ability to work under pressure.
Starting date: July 2017
Contract: Permanent contract
Location: Geneva, Switzerland
Deadline for applications: 4 June 2017
Please submit all applications only by email to:
Candidates must already have the right to work in Switzerland or hold a European passport.
IOfirstname.lastname@example.org stating “Digital Communications Officer” in the subject
Please submit only ONE file containing your CV and cover letter and name the file with your last name only.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.