Communications Advisor, Desk – Dubai
Job Title: Communications Advisor, Desk DUBAI (M/F) – YEMEN, SYRIA, JORDAN, IRAQ
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international, independent, medical humanitarian organization that delivers emergency aid to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, natural disasters and exclusion from healthcare. MSF offers assistance to people based on need, irrespective of race, religion, gender or political affiliation.
Our actions are guided by medical ethics and the principles of neutrality and impartiality.
Under the hierarchical supervision of the Desk Program Manager and the functional supervision of the Communications Director in Paris, the Communications Advisor defines and puts in place the operational communications strategy for the countries followed by the desk of reference (Iraq, Jordan, Syria, Yemen) and favours the implementation of communications actions in coherence with MSF communication overall strategies.
Definition and implementation of communication strategies
- Develop communication strategies for each country followed by the desk, at local field level, national level, and international level, together with the Program Manager and Heads of mission (objectives, targets, messages, inputs etc.);
- Identify and elaborate appropriate material so that factual and creative communication (written, video, web, etc.),can be developed by the communications, press, digital and social media teams
- Travel regularly to the field to provide strategic support and provide support for Field Communications Officers;
- Coordinate messages and communication strategies with other operational centers and sections.
- Provide communications briefings for field staff prior to their departure to the field.
Support and technical supervision for Field Communications Officers
- In connection with the desk and country coordination, acts as technical supervisor and support for Field Communications Officers working in the countries of interest, in their implementation of communications strategies at local level, and their collection of communications materials.
Collection and dissemination of information
- Research and collect news and information relative to the countries of interest;
- Regularly compile and share internal information related to the desk’s portfolio of countries with HQ, field and with other MSF sections;
- Participate in weekly desk meetings and weekly meetings with the Communications Department in Paris to improve information flows;
Analysis of political and media contexts
- Support Program Manager and Communications Department with analysis of the political, humanitarian and media contexts in the region, in order to develop more sensitive, relevant and effective communications and operations;
- Advise on public positioning of MSF in relation to the political and humanitarian contexts in the region;
- Build a strategic network of researchers, thinktanks, journalists and activists to develop a nuanced understanding of the relevant country contexts.
- Develop press releases, press briefings and other tools;
- In connection with press relations officers, support the dissemination of communications to Arabic and English language media;
- Maintain regular contact with journalists and media covering the country of interest;
- Facilitate journalist visits in the countries of interest;
- Facilitate media interviews for MSF spokespeople, and support spokespeople by preparing them for interviews and providing communications guidance, talking points etc;
- Regularly analyze press coverage for the countries of interest.
- Higher education degree in Political Science, International Relations, Journalism or related field
- Minimum three (3) years’ experience in one of these fields, including experience in the humanitarian sphere.
- Experience, interest and knowledge of the Middle East region and its different political/humanitarian contexts.
- Experienced with Microsoft Office, web and social media.
- Possessing a constant active view of global and regional current events, with an ability to learn quickly about humanitarian issues and to make qualitative and quantitative analyses.
- Strong writing skills and ability to synthesize and analyze information.
- Good interpersonal and intercultural skills; an excellent team player.
- Organized, able to work autonomously and implement an action plan.
- Flexibility and willingness to travel.
- Proficient in English and Arabic (oral and written).
The position will be based in Dubai for the initial period until the relocation of the desk to Paris in 2016. Regular international travel required.
Dubai: United Arabic Emirates (UAE) local contract during the time the position will be based in Dubai until the reallocation of the desk in Paris in 2016. The local UAE contract in Dubai will be then terminated and a new French contract will be established within the process of the reallocation of the Desk from Dubai to Paris.
Paris: Fixed contract – 12 months– Full time.
Salary Condition and benefits
Dubai: 27,368 AED monthly gross salary, nontaxable on 12 months. Medical coverage paid by MSF. 30 days yearly leave.
Paris: (as soon as the position will be based in Paris). 41,8K€ monthly gross salary on 13 months. 22 days additional leave under RTT regulation per year. 100% Complementary Health Coverage paid by MSF. Lunch check of an amount of 8,80 € (paid 60% by MSF). 50% of the public commuting subscription covered by MSF.
Position to be taken: end of September
Application deadline: 30 August 2015
Application (Motivation letter and Resume) has to be send to email@example.com by August the 30th 2015. Indicate the following reference in the mail subject line: VACCOMD/0815
Only selected candidates will be contacted.