Communication Officer (m/f) - Brussels
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) has a long tradition of going beyond the medical and humanitarian act by bearing witness on the situation it encounters in areas of intervention. Communication is an integral part of the MSF’s operations for purposes of leverage, acceptance, or simply to make an issue more visible. At the Brussels Operational Centre (OCB) of MSF, this communication support is provided to operations by the Combo team.
As part of the communications department based in Brussels, the “Combo” team works on information and strategic communication matters related to MSF operations in a number of countries managed by MSF’s Operational Centre of Brussels.
In this case, the Communications Officer position will be responsible for operational communications support to several MSF projects including Burundi, DRC, Guinea, Haiti, Madagascar, Niger, Sierra-Leone. This list is not exhaustive and can change according to needs or arising emergencies.
- The Communications Officer is part of the “Combo” team and reports to the Communication & Audiovisual Coordinator based in Brussels.
- He/She defines and implements operational communications strategies in coordination with the Operations Coordinators for the countries covered as well as the Country Representatives and Field Communication Mangers in the field.
- He/She works in close collaboration with the Creative Content Team and participates in the Combo Unit meetings
- Support and advise the teams managing operations at field and headquarters levels in their communications activities and strategies, provide a constant stream of information on these interventions, and help MSF continue exposing the medical humanitarian needs of the population it is helping;
- Signal issues on which MSF should consider positioning itself publicly, based on its medical activities and observations, and help define strategies, messages and tools for communicating such issues;
- Design and implement strategies for creating and enhancing understanding of and appreciation for MSF, its principles and its activities in the above mentioned countries;
- Provide support to field communications managers or to country representatives to develop communication strategies in the project countries;
- Produce and oversee the production of communications tools for MSF media, external media and social media on the activities in the countries covered;
- In collaboration with the Operations Coordinators, the Country Representatives, as well as the Analysis and Advocacy Unit (HIT/HAT teams), develop and implement specific strategies for public communication to support advocacy efforts on topics and issues at stakes in the countries covered according to the needs;
- Respond to communication needs following an emergency or crisis situation in the project countries;
- Be the primary source of information (reactively and actively) for the wider MSF network on the activities in the above mentioned countries and topics;
- Provide support to field communications managers in the region to develop communication strategies in the project countries;
- Be ready to travel to project countries to support field teams with communication issues, sometimes at short notice.
- Cover temporarily for communication on other countries / topics in the absence of other colleagues or upon request of the Combo Coordinator.
To be considered for this vacancy, a candidate must demonstrate:
- At least three years of professional experience in communication or international journalism;
- Knowledge and understanding of how media function, internationally and on national or local levels;
- Proven knowledge of digital and social media approaches and tools
- Knowledge of MSF operational communications processes is a strong asset;
- Experience working in the field;
- Experience in productions of communications tools (written and multimedia);
- A strong sense of initiative combined with team spirit;
- Negotiation skills and ability to work with various interlocutors;
- Excellent French and English writing skills;
- Working knowledge of other languages is a strong asset;
- Availability to travel on short notice.
- Long-term contract - full-time - based in Brussels
- Hospital insurance (DKV) – pension plan – canteen – 100% reimbursement for public transport costs
- Starting date: January 2016
Interested? Send CV and cover letter before 14th December 2015 to Maïté Vollemaere at Recruit-HQ-Communications@msf.org with the following reference: “COMBO CEL4"