Communication Officer (based in Rome)
Médecins Sans Frontières is a non-governmental medical humanitarian organisation. We presently work in more than 60 countries, where our volunteers provide assistance to populations in distress and the victims of conflict, irrespective of race, religion or political convictions.
To support MSF work from Brussels, the communication department of the MSF Operational Centre Brussels is hiring a Communication Officer.
- As part of the communications department based in Brussels, the “Combo” team works on information and strategic communication matters related to MSF operations in a number of countries managed by MSF’s Operational Centre of Brussels.
- In this case, the Communications Officer position will be responsible for operational communications support to Operational Cell 2, which currently manages the MSF projects in Bulgaria, Egypt, Greece, Italy, Libya and Mauritania. Due to the nature of MSF programs in these countries, the Communication Officer will work with a particular focus on the issue of migrant and refugee advocacy and communications.
- The Communications Officer is physically based in Rome, in the MSF Italy office. He/She regularly travels to the Brussels office and also to the above-mentioned project countries.
- The Communications Officer is part of the “Combo” team and reports to the Communication & Audiovisual Coordinator based in Brussels.
- He/She defines and implements operational communications strategies in coordination with the Operations Coordinator of Cell 2 in Rome and the Country Representative in the field. He/She works closely with the Humanitarian Advisor on Displacement, in the Humanitarian Innovation Team based in Brussels.
- The Communication Officer shares information to keep the MSF Italy communications department up to date on operational issues (Cell 2 countries) and works in coordination with the MSF Italy Communications Director for issues related to MSF operations in Italy and to the image/ perception of the organisation in the country that are intertwined with the MSF Italy mission. The Communication Department in Italy supports the Communication Officer in pre-identified projects/ productions of communication material relating to his/ her portfolio (for instance A/V material or social media productions).
III. JOB PROFILE
- Support and advise the teams managing operations at field and headquarters levels in their communications activities and strategies, provide a constant stream of information on these interventions, and help MSF continue exposing the medical humanitarian needs of the population it is helping;
- Signal issues on which MSF should consider positioning itself publicly, based on its medical activities and observations, and help define strategies, messages and tools for communicating such issues;
- Design and implement strategies for creating and enhancing understanding of and appreciation for MSF, its principles and its activities in the above mentioned countries;
- Provide support to field communications officers or to country representatives in the above mentioned countries to develop communication strategies in the project countries;
- Produce articles, press releases and other communications materials for MSF media, external media and social media on the activities overseen by Cell 2;
- In collaboration with the Operations Coordinator of Cell 2, the Country Representatives, the Humanitarian Advisor on Displacement and the Director of Communication of MSF Italy, develop and implement specific strategies for public communication to support advocacy efforts on migrant and refugee populations;
- Respond to communication needs following an emergency or crisis situation in the project countries;
- Be the primary source of information (reactively and actively) for the wider MSF network on the activities in the above mentioned countries and topics;
- Be available to cover communications on humanitarian emergencies or on other countries upon request of the Combo Coordinator.
IV. CANDIDATE PROFILE
To be considered for this vacancy, a candidate must demonstrate:
- At least three years of professional experience in communication or international journalism;
- Knowledge and understanding of how media function, internationally and on national or local levels;
- Knowledge of MSF operational communications processes is a strong asset;
- An experience in / good understanding of migration and refugee communication and / or advocacy;
- Experience working in the field;
- Excellent English writing skills (which will be tested as part of the selection process);
- Working knowledge of Arabic / Italian / or French is a strong asset;
- Experience in productions of communications tools (written and multimedia);
- Knowledge of social media;
- A strong sense of initiative combined with team spirit;
- Negotiation skills and ability to work with various interlocutors;
- Availability to travel on short notice.
Location: Rome, Italy
Contract: Open-end contract, full-time
Starting date: As soon as possible
Deadline for application: 15 January 2014
Interested candidates should send a letter of motivation and curriculum vitae by e-mail to Karlien.Jolie@brussels.msf.org with the following reference: “Combo Cell 2 – job found on XXX (name of the channel where you found this vacancy)".