Cairo Field Communication Manager
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF)/Doctors Without Borders/ أﻁباء بلا حدوﺩ , is an international, independent, medical humanitarian organisation that delivers emergency aid to people in over 60 countries who are affected by armed conflict, epidemics, natural disasters and exclusion from healthcare. MSF offers assistance to people based on need, irrespective of race, religion, gender or political affiliation. Our actions are guided by medical ethics and the principles of neutrality and impartiality.
The Field Communications Manager will provide communication support to increase visibility, knowledge and understanding of MSF in Egypt and the MENA region. He/She will monitor the media and develop local, regional and international network of journalists that report on humanitarian, medical and migration issues that are the focus of MSF in the region.
He/She will provide support to MSF emergency activities in the country and act as an emergency communications office when needed.
The Field communications Manager will also help develop an annual communication strategy plan for MSF projects in Egypt in collaboration with the MSF Egypt team.
- Title: Field Communications Manager
- Location: Based in Cairo, Egypt, with travel to MSF projects areas
- Starting date: ASAP
- Duration contract: 1 year, renewable
- Language: Arabic native speaker and fluent in English
- Develop and maintain a network of contacts among Egyptian, regional and international media based in Cairo;
- Raise the profile of MSF and its activities among the Cairo-based media;
- Disseminate relevant MSF communications, including press releases, about the organisation and/or its activities in Egypt and beyond
- Organise press conferences and briefings as requested;
- Follow key media in their reporting on issues relevant to MSF (notably medical/humanitarian) and produce regular overviews of such reporting;
- Develop and maintain close and regular contacts with MSF field communications officers working across the Middle East with awareness of regional communications plans;
- Establish and maintain collaboration with communications staff from other relevant organisations and bodies;
- In collaboration with the MSF Egypt Head of Mission, develop appropriate communications initiatives and tools (leaflets, press releases, campaigns etc) to increase visibility and acceptance of MSF and its activities in Egypt;
- Train and coach field staff in communications skills and techniques;
- If requested, produce communications materials for MSF and external media;
- If needed, be ready to travel to other parts of the Middle East region, and to support
- MSF as emergency communications officer when needs arise
- Solid professional background in communications/journalism;
- Experience working with international media;
- Experience working in the Middle East;
- Fluency in Arabic and English (both spoken and written);
- Good knowledge of social media and digital communication tools;
- Excellent writing and communications skills;
- Knowledge of humanitarian work;
- Understanding of the importance of community acceptance and perception;
- Event organisation skills;
- Excellent computer skills;
- Ability to work independently and report relevant information clearly and concisely;
- Diplomatic and patient nature;
- Excellent organisational skills;
- Flexibility to travel.
- Previous experience in communications with MSF or another NGO;
- Previous experience in the humanitarian or not-for-profit sector;
- Photo and video skills.
Want to Join?
Send CV and cover letter before 24/05/2015 to Maïté Vollemaere atRecruit-HQ-Communications@msf.org and mention “Cairo Communication Manager” in the subject line.