Assistant to the International President (IP) and International Board (IB)
Duration: Long-term contract, full-time position (100%)
Reporting to: MSF International President
Application date: 6 September 2015
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international, independent, medical humanitarian organisation that delivers emergency aid to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, healthcare exclusion and natural disasters. MSF offers assistance to people based only on need and irrespective of race, religion, gender or political affiliation.
MSF International is the legal entity that binds MSF’s 21 sections, 24 associations and other offices together. Based in Geneva, MSF International provides coordination, information and support to the MSF Movement, as well as implements international projects and initiatives as requested. MSF International also provides administrative support to the MSF Access Campaign.
The position of Assistant to the International President and International Board (Assistant to IP &IB) has been created to support the Associative Management of MSF International, particularly the International President & MSF International Board members who have been co-opted or elected to the International Board.
PLACE IN THE ORGANISATION
The Assistant to the International President and International Board will:
- Report hierarchically and functionally to the International President
- Support the MSF International Board members who have been co-opted or elected to the Board, currently seven (7) people
- Work closely with the International Office Communications team (regarding the schedule and requests for the IP)
- Will work closely with International Associative Coordinator, the Executive Coordinator and Executive Assistant - International Office
- Interact with the International President, the other International Board Members, the Secretary General, the International Office team (executive and associative), the MSF Movement, interlocutors outside MSF and any other contact considered necessary by the IP and IB.
OBJECTIVES OF THE POSITION
The Assistant to the IP & IB will play a key supporting role to the IP and IB members, providing administrative and organizational support for the IP and IB platform.
The Assistant must be diplomatic and results oriented with demonstrated capacity to prioritize workflow effectively in a fast paced environment.
Support to the International President (70%)
The Assistant to IP & IB will:
- Coordinate and schedule the IP’s agenda, including internal and external appointments and high level meetings
- Make reservations and travel arrangements for representations, meetings, field missions and ensure appropriate visa requests are done on a timely basis
- Compile expense claims
- Respond to incoming phone calls and transmit messages
- Diligently follow up on meeting requests, correspondence and phone communication
- Coordinate external events such as media requests / interviews / advocacy / representation meetings in close consultation with, and full involvement of, the HART and communication teams and ensure recording and archiving of these
- Support the IP (via the Executive Coordinator) in organizing and when required recording of IB meetings (liaising with assistants at the host office, meeting room booking and preparation, catering, technical settings, document printing, other general assistance)
- Draft & proof read external and internal correspondence on behalf of IP
- Put together written presentations, perform editing and formatting
- Facilitate the preparation of IP internal and external presentations by synthetizing and compiling content, preparing notes, hand-outs or electronic presentations
- Work with IP to identify and follow up issues requiring immediate attention
- Circulate necessary information to IB or IGA
- Welcome and guide external visitors to the IP, if required
- Streamline the IP authorization and signature processes
- Perform other administrative and organizational tasks as required (document printing, scanning, filing, placing order etc.)
- Organize a system and maintain accurate files as required both in the shared U: drive, and hard copy to ensure responsible administrative records and institutional memory
Support to the International Board (30%)
For the International Board, particularly the MSF International Board members who have been co-opted or elected to the Board, the Assistant to the IP &IB will:
- Book flights and coordinate accommodation for any IB-related travel
- Compile expense claims
- Provide administrative and organisational support to IB-dossiers, as requested
- Provide administrative and organisational support to the Finance and Audit Standing Committee of the IB (meeting organisation, production & posting of minutes)
The Assistant to the IP & IB will be required to:
- Provide ad-hoc support to international activities and projects if necessary
- Provide administrative support to guests to IB if necessary
- Undertake other duties as requested by the IP or IB.
- Genuine interest in, understanding of and commitment to the humanitarian principles, social mission, operations, and challenges of MSF
- Outstanding organisational skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- High level of responsibility with ability to track multiple tasks and arrangements to ensure smooth and efficient completion
- Ability to work under pressure and within tight and often changing deadlines whilst maintaining the appropriate priorities and communication
- Tenacity, flexibility and patience to solve problems
- Self-driven, committed and able to work effectively in teams
- Ability to adapt well to unanticipated changes in a fast paced environment
- Ability to handle confidential information with total discretion
- Perfect English (written and spoken) and proficiency in French
- Pragmatism and savviness
- Diplomatic ability and judgement regarding networking, information gathering, and sharing
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment; possessing maturity, patience and understanding
- This position will require occasional short trips to other MSF offices within Europe and flexibility to travel and work outside normal business hours and on weekends
- Bachelor degree or relevant work experience
- MSF or other NGO experience
- Knowledge of humanitarian domain
- Previous work with senior management
- Additional language skills
Starting date: September
Contract: long term 100%
Application closing date: 6 September 2015
Please submit all applications only by email to: IOfirstname.lastname@example.org stating “Assistant to IP & IB” in the title.
Please submit your CV and cover letter in ONE file and name the file with your LAST NAME.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.