Arabic Medical and Online Editor
Title: Arabic Medical and Online Editor
Duration: 1 year contract
Full-time position 100% - 40 hours per week
Reporting to: International Content and Publications Manager
Start date: 1 January 2018
Application deadline: 16 October 2017
I. MSF INTERNATIONAL
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international, independent, medical humanitarian organisation that delivers emergency aid to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, healthcare exclusion and natural disasters. MSF offers assistance to people based only on need and irrespective of race, religion, gender or political affiliation.
MSF International is the legal entity that binds MSF’s 19 sections, 24 associations and other offices together. Based in Geneva, MSF International provides coordination, information and support to the MSF Movement, as well as implements international projects and initiatives as requested. MSF International also provides administrative support to the MSF Access Campaign.
II. POSITION BACKGROUND
The international website of Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF), www.msf.org, is the cornerstone of MSF's online representation and communication. It is a key element in the organisation's overall communication strategy.
Msf.org is currently a bilingual website, in English and Arabic. MSF International is seeking an Arabic Medical and Online Editor to work on the content of msf.org in Arabic, work on the medical content/pages and provide Arabic editorial support to the MSF movement when needed.
In addition, the Arabic Medical and Online Editor will provide support to the MSF Medical Guidelines team in helping with the development of the Arabic pendant of the guidelines..
III. PLACE IN THE ORGANISATION
The Arabic Medical and Online Editor reports to the International Content and Publications Manager. He/she is part of the communications team of the International Office and will be based in Geneva. He/she works closely with colleagues throughout MSF’s communication network, particularly those based in offices in the Middle Eastern region, who produce content in Arabic and manage digital communications in Arabic. He/she works also closely with the Medical Guidelines team based in Paris.
IV. OBJECTIVES OF THE POSITION
Identify, edit, and upload web content for msf.org in Arabic. In preparation for the launch of a new website, rewrite and create content where necessary. This position will have a key role in working on medical content for the website.
Ensure relevant and quality content is adapted from existing English- and Arabic-language MSF sources, and that the content is translated when necessary, is adapted for the web and is error-free.
Collaborate and ensure accurate translation into Arabic of MSF’s medical guidelines.
V. MAIN RESPONSIBILITIES
- Edit and proofread content received from the wider organisation translated into Arabic to prepare it for publication on msf.org/AR
- Publish articles in Arabic on msf.org using our CMS system
- Work with the International Content and Publications Manager to ensure msf.org pages remain current and follow the editorial line of the website
- Support the writing and editing content for inclusion on msf.org as needed for the new MSF.org website, with a specific focus on medical issues/pages
- Support/encourage communications staff across the movement to provide web friendly and mobile first written content
- MSF content in Arabic
- Work in collaboration with the MENA (Middle East and North Africa) teams to coordinate the translation of content into Arabic
- When required, adapt translated materials for web use.
- Develop and update the glossary of terms in Arabic and coordinate the work with MENA offices
- MSF medical guidelines in Arabic
- Provide translation support for the medical guidelines project, as well as spot checks for consistency of terms.
- Participate in editorial decision
- Other duties
- Take part in week end on-call rota for the International Communication team
- Other tasks and projects as required.
- PROFILE REQUIREMENTS
- Excellent written and spoken Arabic is essential.
- A background in medicine or medical editing
- Good English and French language skills.
- The ability to translate text from English and French into Arabic.
- Experience with CMS – Content Management Systems
- Experience preparing and editing Arabic web content.
- Excellent organisational skills.
- SEO (Search Engine Optimisation) and SEM (Search Engine Marketing) experience an asset.
- Good understanding of medical humanitarian topics
- Genuine interest in, understanding of, and commitment to the humanitarian principles and challenges of MSF.
Starting date: 1 January 2018
Contract:1 year contract, 100%
Location: Geneva - Switzerland
Deadline for applications: 16 October 2017
Please submit all applications only by email to:
IOfirstname.lastname@example.org stating “Arabic medical and online editor” in the title.
Please submit your CV and cover letter in
ONE file and name the file with your LAST NAME.
-Only short-listed candidates will be contacted-