Accountant - Geneva
Work Location: Geneva
Contract Type: 1 year contract (with the option to extend)
Position Type: 60% (50% could be considered)
Reports to: Head of Resources
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international, independent, medical humanitarian organisation that delivers emergency aid to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, healthcare exclusion and natural disasters. MSF offers assistance to people based only on need and irrespective of race, religion, gender or political affiliation.
MSF International is the legal entity that binds MSF’s 21 sections, 24 associations and other offices together. Based in Geneva, MSF International provides coordination, information and support to the MSF Movement, as well as implements international projects and initiatives as requested. MSF International also provides administrative support to the MSF Access Campaign.
II. Objectives of the position
The Accountant will receive and record MSF International’s supplier invoices, employee expense claims and petty cash claims.
III. Main Responsibilities
- Collect, check, obtain approval and record invoices and expenses from third parties
- Liaise with Financial Controller relating to any new supplier accounts or new cost centres required
- Ensure internal & external queries are resolved on a timely basis
- Track, validate, obtain approval and allocate costs relating to employee business expense claims including business Visa cards.
2. Bank & cash management
- Calculate and enter into Axapta the monthly exchange rates according to the statement provided by the bank;
- Follow-up on the payment of supplier invoices and prepare the electronic payments for validation;
- Prepare and record the cash accounting vouchers;
- Prepare, obtain approval for and follow up cash advances;
- Record monthly bank transactions
- Complete monthly petty cash count
3. Administration tasks
- Manage and maintain the shared Resources email boxes
- Prepare HR Administration documents where necessary
- Assist the Resources team on ad hoc finance and administrative matters
- Ensure that Resource department documents (electronic and paper version) are appropriately filed and archived
- Asset (laptops, mobile phones etc) administrative support and follow up
There will be opportunities for increased responsibilities over time (e.g some involvement in financial controlling activities)
IV. Profile requirements
- Recently completed or currently undergoing accounting training/qualifications
- Excellent attention to detail, thorough, and accurate
- Strong organisation skills with the ability to meet deadlines
- Dedicated and flexible team member prepared to assist when necessary in all tasks required of the small finance and administration team
- Good interpersonal communication skills needed to liaise with staff and suppliers
- Good computer literacy, including an excellent knowledge of Excel. Knowledge of accounting software would be an added advantage
- Ability and interest to enhance finance skills
- Fluency in spoken and written English and French
Starting date: May 2015
Contract: 1 year (with the option to extend), 60% (50% considered)
Deadline for applications: 24 April 2015
Please submit all applications only by email to: IOfirstname.lastname@example.org stating “Accountant” in the title.
Please submit only one file containing your CV and motivation letter and name the file with your last name only.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted