Access Campaign - Digital Communications Internship
Title: Digital Communications Internship, Access Campaign (AC)
Location: Geneva, Switzerland
Contract: Internship, Time according to academic calendar and legal requirement
Duration: 12 months
Starting date: 15 October 2017 or asap
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is a leading international, independent, medical, humanitarian organisation, dedicated to providing medical humanitarian assistance to vulnerable populations in times of conflict or disaster. In 1999 MSF created the MSF Access Campaign, made up of a team of medical, legal, pharmaceutical, policy and communications specialists, to improve access to existing drugs, diagnostics and vaccines that are unaffordable and to stimulate the development of newer better medical tools that people in countries where MSF works urgently need.
II. POSITION WITHIN ORGANISATION
The candidate will support digital content production and dissemination for the Access Campaign.
The Digital Communications Intern will report to the Online Communications Officer, but may engage in projects and work managed by the Content Development Manager, the Sr. Communications Manager and others in the Communications team.
III. OBJECTIVE OF THE POSITION
The position will provide daily support to the Access Campaign’s digital communications. The responsibilities will include a range of tasks – from creating, editing and disseminating content, to reporting and analysis of impact and reach of AC digital communications, to supporting online advocacy and campaigning – and will offer real-world experience in digital communications while honing core digital communications skills and expertise.
There will also be the requirement – and the opportunity – to help with other communications tasks in the department. As a full-time member of the AC communications team, the successful candidate will gain invaluable experience in a wide variety of NGO communication work.
The main responsibilities include:
- Proofreading and publishing articles and blogs using our CMS system
- Developing and disseminating content for social media and other digital channels
- Editing images, graphics; preparing downloadable content and links for publication
- Researching and identifying opportunities to engage with online influencers and distribution channels
- Support setup and distribution of MSF newsletters, as needed
- Editing existing online content to improve SEO
- Uploading video content and helping to manage community engagement & comments
- Producing regular and ad-hoc reports on social media impact, website usage and social media mentions of MSF Access Campaign
- Supporting research into website visitors, user journeys and navigation
- Contributing to campaigning and design projects with third party suppliers
- Supporting with database and reporting tasks
- Supporting dissemination and uptake of digital material to the rest of the MSF network
V. SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Genuine interest in and commitment to the humanitarian principles of MSF
- Demonstrable interest in digital and media work
- Excellent computer literacy & familiarity with current web and online technologies, including content management systems, HTML coding; MS Office suite of applications and simple contact management databases
- Working knowledge of current social media platforms and channels, including best practices for content creation
- Good eye for design; basic graphic design skills, including familiarity with Photoshop & Illustrator;
- Strong written and proofreading skills
- Fluency in written and spoken English (other languages are an advantage)
- Plenty of ideas, motivation and inspiration
- Willingness and ability to manage administrative tasks
- Strong organisational skills, punctual, reliable and self-motivated with the ability to work independently
- Flexible team member ready to adapt to the needs of the team
- Have completed, or be working towards, a degree in a relevant field, i.e. international relations, political science, journalism/communications, digital production, health/medical/science or law
HOW TO APPLY
In order to qualify for an internship position, the applicants should be prepared to provide documentary evidence that they are in one of the following situations:
- Currently enrolled in a certifying training;
- Between certifying trainings (eg. Bachelor and Master) with the condition that the utility of the internship is certified by the training institution organizing the second training.
- Professional or social reinsertion according to federal or canton legal mechanisms.
Failure to do so will result in ineligibility for the position.
Deadline for applications: 18 September 2017
- Please submit all applications only by email to:
stating “AC Digital Comms Internship – ref 2001” in the file
- Please submit only ONE file in pdf containing:
- Your full CV (max. 2 pages)
- Your cover letter and mentioning How did you hear about this vacancy
- A copy of your school certificates – current enrollment
- If non Swiss, a copy of your student permit delivered by Swiss Authorities
All applications will be treated confidentially - Only short-listed candidates will be contacted directly.