Multidrug-resistant tuberculosis (MDR-TB)
A course of treatment for uncomplicated tuberculosis (TB) takes a minimum of six months. When patients are resistant to the two most powerful first-line antibiotics (isoniazid and rifampicin), they are considered to have multidrug-resistant TB (MDR-TB).
MDR-TB is not impossible to treat, but the drug regimen is arduous, taking up to two years and causing many side effects.
Extensively drug-resistant tuberculosis (XDR-TB) is identified when patients show resistance to the second-line drugs administered for MDR-TB. The treatment options for XDR-TB are very limited. Two new drugs – bedaquiline and delamanid – have recently become available to some patients who have no other treatment options left.
In 2015 MSF treated 18,100 patients for TB, of whom 2,000 for MDR-TB.
For more information, please see tuberculosis.
- Access to essential medicineApply Access to essential medicine filter (45)
- Access to healthcareApply Access to healthcare filter (12)
- Antibiotic resistanceApply Antibiotic resistance filter (5)
- Child healthApply Child health filter (3)
- Health policyApply Health policy filter (3)
- Maternal healthApply Maternal health filter (2)
- Mental healthApply Mental health filter (6)
- MigrantApply Migrant filter (2)
- Mobile clinicApply Mobile clinic filter (2)
- Neglected diseasesApply Neglected diseases filter (4)
- Refugees and internally displaced peopleApply Refugees and internally displaced people filter (2)
- EbolaApply Ebola filter (1)
- Extensively drug-resistant tuberculosis (XDR-TB)Apply Extensively drug-resistant tuberculosis (XDR-TB) filter (42)
- Hepatitis CApply Hepatitis C filter (1)
- HIV/AIDSApply HIV/AIDS filter (12)
- Infectious diseasesApply Infectious diseases filter (114)
- MalariaApply Malaria filter (1)
- MalnutritionApply Malnutrition filter (1)
- MeaslesApply Measles filter (1)
- Multidrug-resistant tuberculosis (MDR-TB)Apply Multidrug-resistant tuberculosis (MDR-TB) filter (114)
- Parasitic diseasesApply Parasitic diseases filter (1)
- TuberculosisApply Tuberculosis filter (114)
- 2018Apply 2018 filter (1)
- 2017Apply 2017 filter (8)
- 2016Apply 2016 filter (14)
- 2015Apply 2015 filter (13)
- 2014Apply 2014 filter (35)
- 2013Apply 2013 filter (19)
- 2012Apply 2012 filter (8)
- 2011Apply 2011 filter (6)
- 2010Apply 2010 filter (3)
- 2008Apply 2008 filter (2)
- 2007Apply 2007 filter (2)
- 2006Apply 2006 filter (1)
- 2005Apply 2005 filter (2)