Since the Ebola outbreak in West Africa was officially declared on 22 March in Guinea, it has claimed 6,387 lives in the region. The outbreak is the largest ever, and is currently affecting four countries in West Africa: Guinea, Liberia, Sierra Leone and Mali. Outbreaks in Nigeria and Senegal have been declared over. A separate outbreak in DRC has also ended.
What MSF is doing
MSF’s West Africa Ebola response started in March 2014 and counts activities in Guinea, Liberia, Mali and Sierra Leone. MSF currently employs 306 international and around 3,078 locally hired staff in the region. The organisation operates seven Ebola case management centres (CMCs), providing approximately 600 beds in isolation, and two transit centres.
More than 1,305 tonnes of supplies have been shipped to the affected countries since March.
Since the beginning of the outbreak, MSF has admitted more than 7,000 patients, among whom around 4,400 were confirmed as having Ebola.
Nearly 1,900 patients have survived.
What is Ebola?
Ebola is a virus that can kill up to 90 percent of the people who catch it, causing terror among infected communities. Ebola can be caught from both humans and animals. It is not an air-borne disease. Human to human transmission occurs through close contact with bodily fluids of an Ebola-infected person. Patients need to be treated in isolation by staff wearing protective clothing. Supportive care can help the patient survive longer, and the extra time may just be what the patient’s own immune system needs to fight the virus.
- Access to essential medicineApply Access to essential medicine filter (2)
- Access to healthcareApply Access to healthcare filter (5)
- Antibiotic resistanceApply Antibiotic resistance filter (1)
- Child healthApply Child health filter (1)
- Maternal healthApply Maternal health filter (1)
- Mental healthApply Mental health filter (2)
- Mobile clinicApply Mobile clinic filter (3)
- Neglected diseasesApply Neglected diseases filter (2)
- Refugee / IDPApply Refugee / IDP filter (5)
- Speaking outApply Speaking out filter (2)
- VaccinationApply Vaccination filter (2)
- EbolaApply Ebola filter (179)
- HIV / AIDSApply HIV / AIDS filter (3)
- MalariaApply Malaria filter (4)
- MalnutritionApply Malnutrition filter (2)
- MeaslesApply Measles filter (1)
- Sleeping sickness (human African trypanosomiasis)Apply Sleeping sickness (human African trypanosomiasis) filter (1)
- TuberculosisApply Tuberculosis filter (3)